RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
diehard

Modified BIOS for Microserver N40L enables hidden features

karmantyu

Well, I have SATA III HDD's on all of the six ports. Made a test to be sure.

IDE
Combined mode disable
Non-destructive benchmark
ZFSguru 0.2.0-beta9 (11.0-001) pool benchmark
Pool            : TANK (10.9T, 75% full)
Test size       : 8 GiB
normal read    : 2 GB/s
normal write    : 265 MB/s
I/O bandwidth    : 2 GB/s

IDE
Combined enable
Non-destructive benchmark
ZFSguru 0.2.0-beta9 (11.0-001) pool benchmark
Pool            : TANK (10.9T, 75% full)
Test size       : 8 GiB
normal read    : 2 GB/s
normal write    : 247 MB/s
I/O bandwidth    : 2 GB/s

Since 8GiB is a small dataset to test real performance it means the server's (HDD's) performance is not noticeably impaired with normal SATA III drivers. They can not go beyond 150MB/s yet!

Joe_Miner

Thanks karmantyu!  I love your testing and of course your test results.

You make a very good point and in the Blog posting you quoted I should have emphasized more the value of Disabling SATA IDE Combined Mode – otherwise if SATA IDE Combined Mode is left on the default Enable the machine is limited to transfer rates of roughly that of a SATA I port for (for ports 4 & 5 – i.e. the eSATA and ODD SATA ports) whereas with the SATA IDE Combined Mode set to Disable then it’s possible to get SATA II speeds off of those two ports (bringing them up to speed with the other 4 SATA II ports in the machine). 

I did do a proof of the value of setting SATA IDE Combined Mode to Disable using ST3000DM001’s at Performance Improvement on ODD SATA Port Contributed by BIOS-MOD http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5752-performance-improvement-on-odd-sata-port-contributed-by-bios-mod/

gallery_1229_27_450383.jpg

gallery_1229_27_6938.jpg

ikon

I'm a little confused. How do those test results, which do show a 7% improvement in throughput with Combined Mode disabled, relate to 150MB/s?

karmantyu

I'm a little confused. How do those test results, which do show a 7% improvement in throughput with Combined Mode disabled, relate to 150MB/s?

As you can see from Joe_Miner's test results the performance of a standard (or high-end) HDD may be slightly better with Combined Mode disabled setting in BIOS. If you set Combined Mode disabled the eSATA and ODD ports could perform on SATA 2. standard (along with the other four SATA ports) allowing 300MB/s throughput.

If you set Combined Mode enabled you will have ATA (UDMA-133 or SATA 1.x) standards on the eSATA and ODD ports which peaks about 150MB/s.

The performance differences are not very high between enable or disable when using HDDs because their peak outside world transfer rate are about 150MB/s.

The real difference feels if you are using SSD for example. Their transfer performances could suffer seriously from ATA transfer limitations.

In my fast test results you can see that if you would have a 6HDD RAID5 pool it won't really matter if Combined Mode is enabled or disabled because the writing and reading tasks are divided to multiple HDDs. If you look further you realize that the transfer from server is limited to the gigabit LAN well below 100MB/s.

So my suggestion is that if you don't disable Combined Mode in BIOS then don't use SSD on either eSATA or ODD ports.

(With Combined Mode disabled we have SATA 2. 300MB/s on all 6 ports but I think HP had not limited these ports capabilities to mess with the system integrators but to protect systems from possible failures. May be the chipset is not fully capable to handle 6 SATA 2. throughput? I had some serious system failures when recalculating – putting immense stress on the 6 HDD 10,9TB data pool. I will test further with different settings and report back if I have clear results for you.)

ikon

I absolutely agree about the LAN bottleneck. It's real and people are trying to find ways to get around it without going to fibre. I put the modest improvement when disabling Combined Mode down more to the MicroServer hardware than the HDDs. I've seen situations with other computers where there was quite a bit bigger difference between SATA I, II, and III; where SATA III HDDs did do better than on SATA II. Nothing like what SSDs do of course -- hard to beat solid state :)

adobo

total noob here!... just downloaded and updated my bios 041 to the latest (041,...2013 i think)...

I'm using it to switch between my esxi lab (HDD bays 1&2) and my 2012R2 HyperV lab (HDD bays 3&4) - ESXi boots off a USB which i disconnect when i don't want to boot to it.

I purchased this as a second N40L but this one had a modified bios (that allows for a hot swap). this is good but for what I'm using it for it does get powered down quite frequently, and of course my RAM capacity reads either 8GB or 16GB. How can i set the bios so it reads 16GB all the time (it doesn't matter if i loose my hot swap feature)? the RAM installed is 2x 8GB Patriot G2 non-ecc

karmantyu

total noob here!... just downloaded and updated my bios 041 to the latest (041,...2013 i think)...

I'm using it to switch between my esxi lab (HDD bays 1&2) and my 2012R2 HyperV lab (HDD bays 3&4) - ESXi boots off a USB which i disconnect when i don't want to boot to it.

I purchased this as a second N40L but this one had a modified bios (that allows for a hot swap). this is good but for what I'm using it for it does get powered down quite frequently, and of course my RAM capacity reads either 8GB or 16GB. How can i set the bios so it reads 16GB all the time (it doesn't matter if i loose my hot swap feature)? the RAM installed is 2x 8GB Patriot G2 non-ecc

As far as I know there is no possibility to set RAM compatibility in BIOS. So you need copatible RAM modules to work correctly.

karmantyu

As you can see from Joe_Miner's test results the performance of a standard (or high-end) HDD may be slightly better with Combined Mode disabled setting in BIOS. If you set Combined Mode disabled the eSATA and ODD ports could perform on SATA 2. standard (along with the other four SATA ports) allowing 300MB/s throughput.

If you set Combined Mode enabled you will have ATA (UDMA-133 or SATA 1.x) standards on the eSATA and ODD ports which peaks about 150MB/s.

The performance differences are not very high between enable or disable when using HDDs because their peak outside world transfer rate are about 150MB/s.

The real difference feels if you are using SSD for example. Their transfer performances could suffer seriously from ATA transfer limitations.

In my fast test results you can see that if you would have a 6HDD RAID5 pool it won't really matter if Combined Mode is enabled or disabled because the writing and reading tasks are divided to multiple HDDs. If you look further you realize that the transfer from server is limited to the gigabit LAN well below 100MB/s.

So my suggestion is that if you don't disable Combined Mode in BIOS then don't use SSD on either eSATA or ODD ports.

(With Combined Mode disabled we have SATA 2. 300MB/s on all 6 ports but I think HP had not limited these ports capabilities to mess with the system integrators but to protect systems from possible failures. May be the chipset is not fully capable to handle 6 SATA 2. throughput? I had some serious system failures when recalculating – putting immense stress on the 6 HDD 10,9TB data pool. I will test further with different settings and report back if I have clear results for you.)

I've made it sure there is no problem setting all six ports to SATA 2. 300MB/s. AMD's southbridge can handle the workload and providing enough bandwidth for 6x300MB/s. My server had experienced I/O failures and NCQ timeouts because of faulty UNIX kernel AHCI handling. So everything is all right using the unlocked capabilities.

cskenney

We have discussed this many times. The N40L was only made for 8GB of RAM. Some have been successful getting 16GB to be recognized but others have had mixed results (like you). There is nothing to set to force it.
  • Like 1

ikon

^^ What he said. People do get N40Ls to work reliably with 16GB, but you have to install truly compatible RAM. There is a thread in these forums that lists some compatible RAM. FWIW, it seems that N54Ls are more forgiving about the make & model of RAM used, but that's not to say just any old RAM will work.