RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Modified BIOS for Microserver N40L enables hidden features

diehard

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Ive just got a N54L today and im wanting to have my SSD in the optical bay and then 4 more drives. Ive flashed the bois as shown in this thread. 

My box is now dead. When i turn it on i get no output. and just a green power light. thats it. 

The bios updated seemed to work fine. 

I have reseated the RAM 

Any ideas whats happened and if i can do anything to recover? 

Thanks in advance guys!

I've just flashed my N36L to the same affect as above. I didn't think it was important to take out my 8GB RAM or PCI cards prior to doing the flash, thinking now maybe I should have.

What are my options, if any?

Hi guys,

Ive just got a N54L today and im wanting to have my SSD in the optical bay and then 4 more drives. Ive flashed the bois as shown in this thread. 

My box is now dead. When i turn it on i get no output. and just a green power light. thats it. 

The bios updated seemed to work fine. 

I have reseated the RAM 

Any ideas whats happened and if i can do anything to recover? 

Thanks in advance guys!

Can you see the post display when you first power it on?

Did you make the Bios recovery USB stick so you can flash back to stock BIOS?

Did you add RAM?

Verify all you cables are connected properly and that you don't have a bent pin.

Hi amicallef1991 -- The thread should have eventually lead you (post #3) to the instructions in HP ProLiant N40L MicroServer Build and BIOS Modification Revisited   -- were those instructions the one's you used?  Did you flash your BIOS without any HDD's, SSD's, USB's (except for the one with the BIOS-Mod) in the Server and with the stock 2GB RAM?  had you powered up the N54L before? 

I've just flashed my N36L to the same affect as above. I didn't think it was important to take out my 8GB RAM or PCI cards prior to doing the flash, thinking now maybe I should have.

What are my options, if any?

Hi Cpsimit!  Sorry to hear about your issues with the N54L.

For us to have any chance trying to help you We need more information about your system at the time of the flash and how you did the flash.

Can you answer CSKenney's questions above in the 2nd message and my questions in the 3rd message. (highlighted)

Did you follow the Step by Step in HP ProLiant N40L MicroServer Build and BIOS Modification Revisited and in the video:

Hi Cpsimit!  Sorry to hear about your issues with the N54L.

For us to have any chance trying to help you We need more information about your system at the time of the flash and how you did the flash.

Can you answer CSKenney's questions above in the 2nd message and my questions in the 3rd message. (highlighted)

Did you follow the Step by Step in HP ProLiant N40L MicroServer Build and BIOS Modification Revisited and in the video:

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Luckily I managed to restore back to the standard HP BIOS.

Looking back I believe followed all the instructions. I did use the flat files rather than ones in the USB key folder though.This was just because the rom file wasn't copied over when I ran the USB Key setup, so I couldn't replace it with the custom rom (probably something I was doing wrong to be fair). 

Also, when performing the BIOS flash I had 8GB RAM and two PCIe cards in the server; my NC360T Dual Gigabit NIC and a USB 3.0 card. Other than that nothing was plugged in other than a keyboard (no hard drives, network cables etc).

I'm tempted to try and apply the the custom bios again but not sure I can be bothered now.

Luckily I managed to restore back to the standard HP BIOS.

Looking back I believe followed all the instructions. I did use the flat files rather than ones in the USB key folder though.This was just because the rom file wasn't copied over when I ran the USB Key setup, so I couldn't replace it with the custom rom (probably something I was doing wrong to be fair).

You may want to try another USB Key.  After running SP54344 you shouldn’t have to add anything to the key except to copy BIOS-MODS o41072911.rom over the stock O41072911.rom that SP54344 had put onto your USB Key.

How did you get the o41072911.rom file?  If you downloaded o41072911mod.rar from BIOS-MODS directly you need to EXTRACT it from the rar zip file, i.e. you need to unrar or unzip the o41072911mod.rar file, and then rename the extracted file it o41072911.rom.

Also, when performing the BIOS flash I had 8GB RAM and two PCIe cards in the server; my NC360T Dual Gigabit NIC and a USB 3.0 card. Other than that nothing was plugged in other than a keyboard (no hard drives, network cables etc).

If you know for sure the 8GB RAM is good and the PCIe cards are good and working then it’s no problem – it just takes a little longer during post before the Flash will begin.  The problem arises when someone will decide to add their extra RAM, PCIe cards, HDD’s etc. Before they first turn on the MicroServer and Flash the BIOS and we would discover much later that the Flash was good but the either RAM, Cards, etc. Were bad and the Flash
was being blamed.

I'm tempted to try and apply the the custom bios again but not sure I can be bothered now.

It should be as easy to flash the BIOS-MODS as it was to flash the Stock BIOS.   But if you don’t need the added features you get from the BIOS-Mod Flash then there’s no reason, in my opinion, to do the Flash.  The only reason I would do the BIOS-Mod Flash is to (1) get AHCI mode on the ODD SATA Port on the System Board (you want that for SSD's) (2) to get full SATA II Speeds out of the ODD SATA Port (3Gb/s instead of ~1.5Gb/s) for higher performance drives (4) to use Port Multiplier features off the eSATA Port. But that's just my opinion.

============================

From HP’s Support

Black Screen Tutorial - HP Support <= Go to this Site and check if this is your Problem

DESCRIPTION

The HP MicroServer G7, in rare instances, may be unable to boot after flashing the System BIOS to a newer version. When this occurs, the Power LED may illuminate green but no video will be displayed despite pressing the keyboard or moving the mouse.

1. Power off your MicroServer N40L/N54L and wait for 5 Minutes
  2. On your Desktop/Laptop Go to "C:\SWSetup\SP54344\USB Key"
  3. Plug-In your USB
  4. Start the File HPQUSB.exe and follow the Wizard.
  5. Unplug your USB from Computer and Plug-In to your MicroServer
  6. Power On and wait for 5-10 Minutes. For a period of time, there will be no video displayed on the screen. This is expected behavior
  7. Power the server off and unplug the USB drive
  8. Power the server on again. The system will boot and the System BIOS will be re-flashed successfully.

Hi, I'd like to ask if anyone has had experience with their N40L freezing once in the BIOS after updating to the unlocked BIOS. 

I recently updated my N40L with the unlocked bios.  Everything went to plan however, I noticed that after spending more than a few minutes exploring the various settings in the bios pages that the computer would freeze.

The problem is easily reproduced.  Once in the BIOS screen, I've left the server untouched with only the summary page showing.  The clock continues to update however, after about 4 minutes, the server becomes unresponsive to keyboard entries and needs a reboot.  The clock stops updating which indicates that it has frozen.

The problem occurs regardless of whether the server is left idle or whether I am poking around in the settings.

The only changes I've made to the Bios settings is to enable AHCI on the ODD port and changed the MPS to 1.4 from 1.1 but that was a late change and I'd already noticed the problem before.

I should add that I haven't seen any other side effects.  The server boots and runs perfectly.

My system configuration is:

HP N40L

16GB RAM

2 x 2TB WD Green Drives

1 x 1 TB Seagate Drive

1 x 500GB WD Black 2.5inch drive in Icydock 2.5/3.5 adpator

1 x 120GB SSD on ODD Port (installed in Thermaltake Duo 5 dock)

VMWare ESXi 5.1

HP Microserver Remote Access Card (firmware 1.3)

Thanks.

OK, so we know it's not the OS. That pretty much leaves only the hardware. Since it's the one area that's had issues for other people, I would look at the RAM. 16GB has not worked for everyone, particularly if they aren't using RAM that's worked well for others. Even then, sometimes there are issues. If you can, I would go back to 8GB (2x4GB, not 1x8GB) or 4GB (2x2GB) and test again, see if it makes a difference.

OK, so we know it's not the OS. That pretty much leaves only the hardware. Since it's the one area that's had issues for other people, I would look at the RAM. 16GB has not worked for everyone, particularly if they aren't using RAM that's worked well for others. Even then, sometimes there are issues. If you can, I would go back to 8GB (2x4GB, not 1x8GB) or 4GB (2x2GB) and test again, see if it makes a difference.

I didn't suspect any hardware issues were at fault as I've been running this setup for about 10 months with the original HP bios and didn't have any such problems.

This is definitely a new issue that's arisen since installing the unlocked bios.

Incidentally, Im using Patriot Gamer 2 (2 x 8GB sticks) which by all accounts have had good success rate.  I've never had the issue described by some where 8gb of RAM would not be recognised on a reboot.

Since the system has VMWARE ESXi installed with a number of virutal machines, all the RAM is actively used so I would expect that I'd be seeing random system crashes if RAM was an issue.

I should have mentioned that I've been accessing the server though the Virtual KVM on HP's Remote Access Card.  I haven't confired that the bios becomes inaccessible if directly connected to the box from a physical keyboard/screen (I know that I should have mentioned that first up!).  Its a pain to take the server out of its installed location to test so I've not tried this.  So in fact it could be a Remote Access Card issue rather than a BIOS/Server Hardware problem.

Incidentally, I did the entire bios update over the Remote Access Card Virtual KVM.  I did however use a physical USB stick connected directly to the box for the update.  I wasn't adventerous enough to update the bios using the virutal USB option on the RAC.

The reality is that its not a show stopper.  I can make any changes I like in the bios and save the changes as long as I don't spend more than a few minutes poking around in there.  I was only curious if any one else had similar experiences as I'd not seen any other postings describing a similar problem but thought there might be a simple enough explanation.

Sorry, by 'hardware' I meant the box itself, any add-in cards, and the BIOS (which I consider to be part of the hardware since it's stored in onboard ROM chips).

Since you only changed the BIOS, it sounds like the unlocked one has some, probably minor, incompatibility with the RAC. if you can live with it, that's great, as long as it doesn't cause any other 'production type' issues.