RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Modified BIOS for Microserver N40L enables hidden features

diehard

Both teste with same 320 Gb Hitachi 2.5" 3.0Gb/s drive

WD 3Tg Green Drive

WD 2Tb Green Drive

WD 25 Gb caviar Blue drive

looks like I need to work on pasting in ATTO results :)

Edited by ShuG

Right. Uploading pictures here and getting them into posts is a bit of a black art. Here's one way to do it:

1. Under you nickname at the top right of the screen, right-click My Gallery and select Open in new window
  2. At the next screen click on one of your albums. If you have only 1, click on it :)
  3. At the next screen click on the black Upload button at the far right
  4. At the next screen, click the Browse button
  5. In the window that pops up, find the jpg you want to upload, highlite it, and click the Open button
  6. Back at the Upload screen, click the Upload button under the path and Browse button
  7. After the jpg uploads, click the Review & Publish button
  8. At the next screen, add details if you want and then click the Finish & Publish button
  9. At the next screen, click the thumbnail of the jpg you just uploaded
  10. At the screen that shows the jpg full size, click the black Options button on the far right - a DropDown list appears
  11. In the DropDown list, click Share links
  12. In the Share links popup, click on the box to the right of Image Link. The entire contents of the box should highlite; press Ctrl-C
  13. Close the window and go back to the one where you're creating your post
  14. Left-click the mouse at the spot in your post where you want the image and press Ctrl-V

I know, kinda complicated, but it works. If anyone knows a faster & easier way, please post it. Thanks.

Hi - i'm sorry, I've had to register to post. I just bought an N40L and kept hearing about this modified bios but I actually cannot find a list of what this modified bios does.

can anyone please help. I have googled and googled and have visited the links on the first page a few times but they don't really contain anything.

I just want to know what this modified bios has that the default bios doesn't have. IE what are the hidden features this mod-bios is supposed to unlock?

Thanks

Edited by muscleflex

Hi Muscleflex and welcome to the Forums. Be sure to check around the many useful threads here and introduce yourself at http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/344-welcome-to-homeservershowcom-forums-introduce-yourself-here/

Why I modified my BIOS:

My #1 reason was simply Speeding up 2 slow SATA ports so that all of my SATA ports on my MicroServer ran at their maximum potential speed of 3Gbps. Our MicroServer has 6 SATA Ports (#0 thru #5) but the last 2 (#4 & #5) without the BIOS-MOD cannot be set to AHCI and their speed has been “down regulated” to half speed (i.e. 1.5Gbps max) by HP’s Stock BIOS. So with the BIOS-MOD -- instead of 4 ports I was able to have 6 running at the higher speed. Having all my ports be AHCI was almost as important to me as the speed-up.

Some people do it for the above reason and being able to use their eSATA Port (Port #4) as a Port Multiplier (this is BIG for a lot of people) – I’m not using Port Multiplier at the moment but I do like having that option in the future.

BTW, You don’t have to Modify your BIOS to be happy with your MicroServer. Many people are perfectly happy with their MicroServer’s with the Stock HP BIOS, YMMV.

Last night’s Home Server Show #212 dealt almost exclusively with the MicroServer – links to the Audio, Video, and Show notes posted shortly at http://homeservershow.com/hp-microserver-discussed-on-the-home-server-show.html

Many of past HSS’s have discussed the MicroServer – Lot of good info there.

Hi,

Thanks for detailed instructions on how to modify bios to enable SATA.

I had Intel SSD 520 series (120GB) setup using port 5 (ODD) with cables supplied with SSD as a boot drive and 4 regular 2TB WD disks for data. Before flashing the BIOS it was working fine but very slow. So what's the point of having SSD if it is slow(er) than existing SATA drives? Hence the decision to do it.

I have followed instructions and created two USB keys. One with HP latest upgrade (recovery just in case) and one with modified bios.

The bios upgrade was really fast and clean and, apparently successful.

But after rebooting first hurdle was it got stuck during on "Checking USB....". OK, I tried reboot again. It worked this time but only to the point of booting part. It got stuck in there and only thing shown on the screen was blinking cursor (the one just before windows screen is up).

After checking the BIOS few times to make sure the setting are as per instructions and no luck with booting from SSD, I removed SSD, put back in original boot drive, change the BIOS to boot from it and reboot. Same thing as before???

Plan B: Used recovery USB created earlier, flashed the BIOS to original HP BIOS (version 041) reboot and the same thing. No luck.

At the end of the day I could always try and re-install Win 7 Ultimate I had on it but I am confused why both drives SSD and factory SATA (250 GB) are not bootable anymore. I did use Intel transfer software to transfer OS (image) from sata to ssd and it worked before flashing the bios.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Maybe I could go back, use modified bios to unlock ODD port on the motherboard and re-install Win 7 on SATA first to see if it works. Or should I keep it as is and reinstall OS?

Thanks in advance

Lopatni

Edited by Lopatni

Thanks Ikon and Joe... now I have more idea of what the modified bios offers.

Apologies I didn't introduce myself properly last night. Was just getting desperate and running out of time. I shall introduce myself over to the other thread after this.

As it is, I managed to flash my bios last night anyway. Only took 10seconds and the C prompt appeared straight away.

I didn't play with the bios tho as i don't even know what to look for but I shall do some more tinkering tonight.

I hastily installed Server 2012 rtm trial but that's as far as I got to last night. Most of my evening was searching for a VGA cable (I threw all of my vga cables as I thought I would never need them again). Luckily a friend up the road had one he lent me.

Hi,

Thanks for detailed instructions on how to modify bios to enable SATA.

I had Intel SSD 520 series (120GB) setup using port 5 (ODD) with cables supplied with SSD as a boot drive and 4 regular 2TB WD disks for data. Before flashing the BIOS it was working fine but very slow. So what's the point of having SSD if it is slow(er) than existing SATA drives? Hence the decision to do it.

I have followed instructions and created two USB keys. One with HP latest upgrade (recovery just in case) and one with modified bios.

The bios upgrade was really fast and clean and, apparently successful.

But after rebooting first hurdle was it got stuck during on "Checking USB....". OK, I tried reboot again. It worked this time but only to the point of booting part. It got stuck in there and only thing shown on the screen was blinking cursor (the one just before windows screen is up).

After checking the BIOS few times to make sure the setting are as per instructions and no luck with booting from SSD, I removed SSD, put back in original boot drive, change the BIOS to boot from it and reboot. Same thing as before???

Plan B: Used recovery USB created earlier, flashed the BIOS to original HP BIOS (version 041) reboot and the same thing. No luck.

At the end of the day I could always try and re-install Win 7 Ultimate I had on it but I am confused why both drives SSD and factory SATA (250 GB) are not bootable anymore. I did use Intel transfer software to transfer OS (image) from sata to ssd and it worked before flashing the bios.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Maybe I could go back, use modified bios to unlock ODD port on the motherboard and re-install Win 7 on SATA first to see if it works. Or should I keep it as is and reinstall OS?

Thanks in advance

Lopatni

Hi Lopatni and Welcome to the Forums. Sorry to hear about your problems -- Boot Order jumped into my mind as soon as I read your message but after fixing that I think you'll have a problem with AHCI if you make that change in the BIOS as part of speeding things up.

Boot Order: Whenever you Flash the BIOS the Flash will wack your Boot Order so immediately after the Flash you should check your Boot Order in the BIOS. This has also happend to me many times when I would switch out OS drives with the DuoSwap -- I have to check the Boot Order. Checking the Boot Order is now almost automatic for me now :) So, after switching from the SSD to the HDD OS Drvs you'll want to check the Boot Order then to -- and again when you switch back from the HDD to the SSD OS Drv..

AHCI: If you set the ports 4 & 5 to AHCI [i.e. set SATA IDE Combined Mode [Disabled]] and your OS drive was/is attached to them you will need to do a registry hack so that your OS knows to load the AHCI drivers you'll need -- there's a tread on that where IKON discussed that very thing.

Let us know how things turn out.