RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Modified BIOS for Microserver N40L enables hidden features

Hi!

Trying to flash (in a good way), and I cant seemt to get the exact files as Joe (thanks by the way - http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3397-modified-bios-for-microserver-n40l-enables-hidden-features/page__st__100#entry45899), maybe the flashing tool/files have been updated?

Any ideas.. ? :)

Directory of G:\

27/12/2012 04:35 AM 108 AUTOEXEC.BAT

27/12/2012 04:35 AM 66,785 COMMAND.COM

27/12/2012 04:35 AM 24,810 IBMBIO.COM

27/12/2012 04:35 AM 30,880 IBMDOS.COM

27/12/2012 04:35 AM 512 fat32lba.bss

27/12/2012 04:35 AM 45,341 kernel.sys

08/05/2006 02:44 PM 2,973 logo.gif

22/08/2011 10:38 AM 2,803 README.1ST

22/08/2011 10:39 AM 4,930 rev_hist.txt

25/08/2011 08:42 AM 31,926 start.htm

27/12/2012 04:35 AM 79 syslinux.cfg

11 File(s) 211,147 bytes

0 Dir(s) 32,700,366,848 bytes free

Thanks guys & Merry Christmas!

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• Joe_Miner

• jmwills

• cskenney

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Anttech,   I had the same issue and couldn't download it from the german site.   I found a mirror at the following address :   http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n

Well I upped it to my dropbox. Please serve yourselves.   https://www.dropbox.com/s/qff7abgmt7hau6z/O41100113.ZIP Well I upped it to my dropbox. Please serve yourselves.   https://www.dropbox.co

Here are the two original versions that I have now posted in dropbox   http://www.dropbox.com/s/u6r1ogp2gt7ju1c/SP64420.exe?dl=0 http://www.dropbox.com/s/m1sisxxaa0oszoc/SP54344.exe?dl=0

Posted Images

Forgive me if I've forgotten the thrust of this thread, but you are talking about a USB thumb drive, right? If so, I'd bet money it's the brand/model of thumb drive that's the problem. Some of them are much more 'bootable' than others.

I'm a little late to this thread, and posted a message to Joe Miner's great article on Storage Spaces on an HP Proliant N40L, which he kindly rersponded to. I figured I would continue the conversation on a forum and picked this one! I appologize if this isn't the place.

Sarkrueger asked;

Joe, I pretty much built a system just like described. I flashed the BIOS via Diehard and installed windows 8 on an SSD drive on port 5, and have a 3.0 TB drive in port 4 in the icy dock. Both show up in the BIOS. I changed the SouthBridge settings as per described and for some reason the 4 3.0 TB Seagate drives in the internal drive bays, don't show up in the BIOS or under manage, drives in Windows. Any thoughts on what I might be missing? Thanks!

Joe Miner responded; Hi Scott! I had the same problem once -- it turned out that I hadn't fully seated my SAS connector that's attached to the 4 drives in the main drive bays on the MB. If you're getting power to the drives (you should be able to hear them spin up when you turn it on) then the SAS connector would be my guess.

I just wondered if I messed something up, and whether anyone has has the same issue that they weren't able to recover from. I seemed to have fully pressed down/reattached the 4-bay-SATA connector to the HD several times. I noticed it doesn't "click" into place. Restarted from no powere etc, etc. Still, the drive aren't recognized. Maybe I damaged the cable. Weird. Brand new N40L.

Scott Krueger

Sarkrueger - Someone else posted something very similar to what you are describing. They could boot just fine off the SATA port on the MB put their drive would not show up in any of the 4 HDD slots. I believe they identified a damaged SAS connector and had to send it back to HP.

Did the system ever recognize a drive in one of the HDD slots? Have you removed the SAS connector and examined it to see if anything looks unusual? Are all the other connectors seated properly on their mating connectors (nothing off by a row?).

You also mentioned port 4 in the icy dock. Did you install the ICY dock Hot Swap drive caddy and connect your 3.5" drive to the eSATA port?

Finally, you state that you changed the bios settings and the 4 drives don't show up. Did they show up before you changed the BIOS?

Well, sometimes it helps to just fling your issues out there to get them solved. The problem was that the left guide tab on the mini-SAS cable was sliding into the connector on the MB. The MB female receptor inside the silver guide on the MB was offset to the left. I probably messed that up due to many re-connects trying to get it to connect. After some realignment (ie-accidently breaking off the left guide on the connector), the min-SAS cable seated and all it good!! All 6 drives are recognized, (4-Seagate 3.0 TB 7200 RPM drives in the internal cages, 1-Seagate 3.0 TB 7200 drive in the icy dock and a 256 Crucial m4 SSD (Windows 8-64) boot drive in the icy dock. What a great set-up! Thanks for all the great info posts!

Good to hear you got it figured out.

Make sure you participate here in the forums and tell us what you are planning to do with your box. I think you are one of the few people who have mentioned running Windows 8 on their Microserver.

Marcel_Dutch

Hi there ! Houston we have a problem.....

First of all greetings from the Netherands. :)

I followed the steps to modify the BIOS but as result 'a dead HP Microserver'.

I created the usb flash boot disk and copied the .ROM file to it.

Started the machine without any disks accept the SDD at the ODD port.

The usb flash disk booted and re-writed the BIOS.

After reboot i don't get anything anymore at my screen.

:(

Help.