RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Modified BIOS for Microserver N40L enables hidden features

diehard

[/font][/color]

I wonder, does it also make them multi-port aware?

it says so in the BIOS (the New BIOS) -- I don't have the equipment to test that though.

Wow, that would be pretty awesome. Typically, a multi-port eSATA can handle up to 5 drives, so your little box could theoretically have 6x5 drives attached :D

As mentioned earlier, with this BIOS mod, I can now see my DROBO S esata. But it hangs during a boot if the DROBO is powered on. So I have to wait until the server boots up, then power up the DROBO.

I have a Sans Digital TR4M that's esata, I'll give that a try and report back. :)

Looks like only 1 drive is visable from the Sans Digital TR4M, so it's as if it's a regular single hard drive connected externally. Bummer. :( Looks like I would have to install a esata port multiplier card in the PCIx slot.

At least the DROBO-S is visable as 1 drive, but that's a premuim device.

Looks like only 1 drive is visable from the Sans Digital TR4M, so it's as if it's a regular single hard drive connected externally. Bummer. :( Looks like I would have to install a esata port multiplier card in the PCIx slot.

Thanks for checking it out!

I assume the Sans Digital is set up as JBOD??

Installed the 5th drive in my HPMS (sorry no duct tape), flashed the BIOS to update 041 but did not see the path mentioned above.

Installed the 5th drive in my HPMS (sorry no duct tape), flashed the BIOS to update 041 but did not see the path mentioned above.

If you flash with the BIOS-MODS Bios will will find some extra items in the Bios menu.

In the Chipset menu you'll find the SouthBridge Menu

MicroServer054.jpg

From the SouthBridge Menu you'll want to go to the SATA Menu and set it up like below:

MicroServer055.jpg

it Looks like all ports 0-5 are set for AHCI in the Advanced Menu -- does that sound right?

yes, if your installing WHS2011 set that to AHCI, if your installing WHSv1 set it to IDE or else the server will continously reboot.

I set the option of setting AHCI speed to Auto, 1.5, & 3 to 3, I don't have any sloweer drives, looks like no support for 6GB/sec

I set my AHCI speed to 3 also:

MicroServer053.jpg