RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
diehard

Modified BIOS for Microserver N40L enables hidden features

ikon

Just remember, it's not actually the brand that matters, it the actual model of flash drive. That Kingston one I mentioned works, but I've got other Kingston drives that won't. Your mileage may vary :D

wala68

This thread has been extremely informative. I'm a newbie to the N40L. I have 16GB of G.Skill F3-1333C9D-16GAO installed and was recognized by the OEM bios. I was able to successfully flash to the modded bios, but now I'm only seeing 8gb of RAM on POST. Anyone have advice/experience on getting 16GB to recognize? I don't want to flash back to the original bios. TIA.

Joe_Miner

This thread has been extremely informative. I'm a newbie to the N40L. I have 16GB of G.Skill F3-1333C9D-16GAO installed and was recognized by the OEM bios. I was able to successfully flash to the modded bios, but now I'm only seeing 8gb of RAM on POST. Anyone have advice/experience on getting 16GB to recognize? I don't want to flash back to the original bios. TIA.

What OS are you running?

I've flashed the BIOS with the BIOS-MODS version and then installed the G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-1333C9D-16GAO

gallery_1229_27_12361.jpg

gallery_1229_27_49924.jpg

wala68

What OS are you running?

I've flashed the BIOS with the BIOS-MODS version and then installed the G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-1333C9D-16GAO

gallery_1229_27_12361.jpg

gallery_1229_27_49924.jpg

I'm trying out Windows Server 2012 Essentials. When I checked the OS it is showing 16GB, just not on boot-up. Should that be a concern or is everything ok as long as the OS recognizes it? Thanks for the reply Joe_Miner

Joe_Miner

I'm trying out Windows Server 2012 Essentials. When I checked the OS it is showing 16GB, just not on boot-up. Should that be a concern or is everything ok as long as the OS recognizes it? Thanks for the reply Joe_Miner

Oh, I was hoping/assuming you were using WHS-2011 which will show 16GB but only show 8GB available in the System Info window.

When mine boots the display on the monitor while the N40L is booting will show 16GB detected by the BIOS and then when I get into S2008R2 (snapshot of windows above) it again shows the 16GB and roughly 16GB available (14.5GB available after subtracting what's being used by the OS & Sys). I'm using the G.Skill F3-1333C9D-16GAO which seemed pretty successful at the HP Proliant MicroServer Owners Club.

It was really the luck of the draw that I went with the F3-1333C9D-16GAO because I was looking at:

NON ECC Modules

Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333MHz XMS3 CMX8GX3M1A1333C9

GSkill Ares F3-1333C9D-16GAO

Patriot Gamer2 PGD316G1333ELK

From the Owners Club and Newegg just happend to be running a sale on the G.Skill that knocked the price down to $70.

If the G.Skill isn't working with your MOD BIOS (I assume you're using BIOS-MODS MOD BIOS) I'm at a lost what the problem could be. Have you tried rebooting? I have read on some boards that the 16GB doesn't fully "take hold" for some people on 1 out of 8 boots but it's good for the other 7. I have been banging on mine quite a bit and have loaded a couple Hyper-V clients and so far it's been seeing the 16GB as avail.

The only thing I'm doing differently from before (besides putting in the 16GB modules) is that I'm using the stock 250GB HD for my OS drive (I didn't want to spend the $ right now to get another SSD) but I don't see how that could possibly be connected.

The only other thing I can think of is that I flashed the BIOS with the stock 2GB RAM and no HD's in the N40L. I can't imagine how that would make a difference though.

Everything I had seen in the Owners Club's principally in Australia and England have said the BIOS stock or MOD didn't make a difference.

So, all in all I'm no help to you.

cat123

Hi, I've installed current modified bios from this thread but I am unable to restart windows 7 since the updated. I can shutdown fine but if I install new software and it automatically restarts or if I just restart for any reason the system hangs.

it is really bothering me! Is there a work around to stop this happening? I've looked everywhere to find a solution with no luck.

cheers

jmwills

What does your BIOS show for the version? READ the instructions carefully.

cat123

What does your BIOS show for the version? READ the instructions carefully.

Hi,

I flashed it correctly and it shows correctly. It was more a problem with windows already install with IDE.

The first time I installed the bios mod I used to microsoft fixit to enable the ahci drivers before flashing the mod which seemed to work but I think this was the reason for the restart fault.

I fixed the problem by enabling IDE mode through regedit and then reinstalling the official HP bios. I then enabled ahci by regedit then installed the bios mod and all is well. No problem with restarts now.

REGEDIT AHCI FROM SEVENFORUM

To enable AHCI in windows 7 type 0 at number 6.

To enable IDE in windows 7 type 3 at number 6.

1. Exit all Windows-based programs.

2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

3. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.

4. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci

5. In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.

6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.

7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

Edited by cat123

ikon

That's quite a bit of work to fix it, but glad you got it going.

wala68

Oh, I was hoping/assuming you were using WHS-2011 which will show 16GB but only show 8GB available in the System Info window.

When mine boots the display on the monitor while the N40L is booting will show 16GB detected by the BIOS and then when I get into S2008R2 (snapshot of windows above) it again shows the 16GB and roughly 16GB available (14.5GB available after subtracting what's being used by the OS & Sys). I'm using the G.Skill F3-1333C9D-16GAO which seemed pretty successful at the HP Proliant MicroServer Owners Club.

It was really the luck of the draw that I went with the F3-1333C9D-16GAO because I was looking at:

NON ECC Modules

Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333MHz XMS3 CMX8GX3M1A1333C9

GSkill Ares F3-1333C9D-16GAO

Patriot Gamer2 PGD316G1333ELK

From the Owners Club and Newegg just happend to be running a sale on the G.Skill that knocked the price down to $70.

If the G.Skill isn't working with your MOD BIOS (I assume you're using BIOS-MODS MOD BIOS) I'm at a lost what the problem could be. Have you tried rebooting? I have read on some boards that the 16GB doesn't fully "take hold" for some people on 1 out of 8 boots but it's good for the other 7. I have been banging on mine quite a bit and have loaded a couple Hyper-V clients and so far it's been seeing the 16GB as avail.

The only thing I'm doing differently from before (besides putting in the 16GB modules) is that I'm using the stock 250GB HD for my OS drive (I didn't want to spend the $ right now to get another SSD) but I don't see how that could possibly be connected.

The only other thing I can think of is that I flashed the BIOS with the stock 2GB RAM and no HD's in the N40L. I can't imagine how that would make a difference though.

Everything I had seen in the Owners Club's principally in Australia and England have said the BIOS stock or MOD didn't make a difference.

So, all in all I'm no help to you.

Just as a follow up: It does seem like 1/8 boot results in the OS recognizing 8GB instead of 16 GB in Windows Server 2012 Essentials. Joe_Miner: thanks for the input. it just so happened that I am using the exact same RAM and bought it around the same time you did for the same reason.