RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
diehard

Modified BIOS for Microserver N40L enables hidden features

ikon

I think one of the issues is that multi-port capability has to start with the eSATA chipset. If it doesn't have multi-port built in then it just can't happen, no matter what the BIOS. I would go with a SiL3132 card; mine has worked really well.

libouk

Help ! my friends ! the french newbie I am made a big mistake with this new bios, so that I cannot have any graphic card available (the onboard one neither the ATI 5450 i have been inserting in the pci slot).

The only option i can see to put everything back in place is to restore the bios default settings.

Can anyone help me to know what sequence i have to press so that i could restore the bios defaults ?? F10 for bios and then ?? f9 ??

please.

Another question: i didn't succeed in putting the onboard 1GB NIC card available, i don't have any gigabit switch, can't i connect my french orange box (livebox 10/100 Mbit ports) directly on my onboard proliant's N40L gigabit card ???

you see, i am on a bad road to succeed withou you.

Thanks for all

texasPI

Ok guys, after all this time, I have decided to flash the bios on my N40L. I'm having a major problem with creating a USB key. I've downloaded everything from links in this thread but when I use the HP tool to format the flash drive, when it completes there are several files on the flash drive that should not be there. Stuff like PDFs and other random things from my computer.

I've formatted the drive several times, tried different computers and different flash drives but the HP tool still places all these weird files once it completes.

ikon

I have found over the years that different makes/models of USB flash drives respond quite differently. For example, I've had some USB flash drives that work well with the MS Win7 DVD Download Tool and others that wouldn't at all. I would try some other flash drives.

Joe_Miner

Please check out the latest Step-By-Step Guide in HP ProLiant N40L MicroServer Build and BIOS Modification Revisited edited 2-3-2013

From my posting to MediaBiz at http://homeserversho...-options-setup/ -- part has been snipped out and copied below.............................

For instance, the 4th link on the “More Interesting MicroServer Links” page is titled ROM Firmware Upgrade from HP

At that page on HP’s website download the file SP54344.exe to your laptop or desktop and follow HP’s instructions to create a USB that can flash your BIOS.

USB Key - HPQUSB.exe is a Windows-based utility to locally partition, format and copy necessary files to a USB flash media device (e.g. HP Drive Key) through the Windows environment. The created USB flash media device is made bootable and ready to locally restore and/or update the firmware on the system.

1. Obtain a formatted USB Key media.

2. Download the SoftPaq to a directory on a system running Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows Vista, Microsoft Windows 7, Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Microsoft Windows Server 2008, or Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 and change to that directory.

3. From that drive and directory, execute the downloaded SoftPaq file: Simply double click on the SPxxxxx.exe file and follow the installation wizard to complete the SoftPaq installation process. At the end of a successful installation of the SoftPaq a web page will automatically appear to provide you with the different methods for restoring and/or upgrading the firmware on the system.

4. After the USB Key is created, you may delete the downloaded file if you wish.

5. Insert this USB Key into the USB Key port of the system to be updated and power the system on to boot to the USB Key.

If you followed HP’s instructions (above) now you would be re-installing the factory BIOS currently on your N40L. This may be handy to have on a spare USB stick. Now create another USB stick with the Factory BIOS installed on it.

If you look at the USB stick you just created with Windows Explorer you’ll see (if you don't get these 11 files you may need to re-install the HP program):

fat32lba.bss

Flash.bat

IBMBIO.COM

IBMDOS.COM

Kbd.exe

kernel.sys

O41072911.ROM

Readme.1st

Readme.txt

Rev_hist.ext

syslinux.cfg

gallery_1229_27_9649.jpg

To flash the MOD BIOS you could use DieHard’s Link and in post #5 of that thread Camiloml has a link to the zipped file o41072911mod.rar

o41072911mod.rar is what you want. Un-zip it with Winzip or some other SW package and you’ll have the file o41072911mod.rom thanks to the hard work of the people at BIOS-MODS!

Rename o41072911mod.rom to o41072911.rom and replace the file O41072911.ROM on your USB stick created by HP with o41072911.rom – (IMPORTANT: the ROM file begins with the letter Oh NOT the number Zero – this is where many screw up and crash and burn)

Now, with your USB stick with the MOD ROM file replacing the Stock/factory BIOS ROM (notice the file names were the same and they are the same size) you can flash your BIOS per HP’s instructions

When I did it I removed all hard drives from my MicroServer – inserted the USB stick and turned the MicroServer on.

The MicroServer does it’s thing and takes you to a C:\ prompt.

Reboot and hit F10 to get into your new BIOS and make the changes outlined elsewhere in the Forums to speed up all your ports.

I created the Flash drive on a Win 7 pro Machine --

Before Flashing your BIOS check these Documents:

HP Support Document – Advisory: HP MicroServer G7 – System May Fail to Boot After Updating the System BIOS

HP Support Document – Notice: HP ProLiant MicroServer – BIOS RECOVERY KEY CREATION RECOMMENDED to Prevent Loss of System BIOS if Server Unexpectedly Encounters Any BIOS Corruption ISSUES – Best Practice

Troubleshoot a Problem <== HP Trouble Shooting Guide

Also read Messages #241 and #242for a detailed description of what happens during the BIOS Flash!

Edited by Joe_Miner

texasPI

Thanks for the help. I got it sorted out after I posted but there was definitely something strange with my flash drives that kept me from making it work initially.

ikon

Thanks for the help. I got it sorted out after I posted but there was definitely something strange with my flash drives that kept me from making it work initially.

Yep, they're definitely not all created equal, especially the U3 variety.

texasPI

To complicate matters, all the flash drives I have are all the same type. I bought a Sandisk 4-pack sometime ago. I had to ask a neighbor to borrow one. :blink:

TapTap

ikon

That's interesting. I have found Sandisk to be one of the better brands overall but, obviously, even they make some that don't work as bootables very well. FWIW, the Kingston 16GB DT101G2 seem to be good.

texasPI

Yes, I've never had issues with Sandisk drives but I've ordered a Lexar and Kingston to have some variety. I actually have a Kingston plugged into my car radio that I forgot about. Its been there about two years playing back music without issue.

TapTap