diehard

Modified BIOS for Microserver N40L enables hidden features

cskenney

Not possible just buy a card. Search amazon for SiL3132

I thought it depended on the box. I thought I remember the Drobo worked this way.

JazJon

I thought it depended on the box. I thought I remember the Drobo worked this way.

I think the Drobo can work with a non port multiplier eSata port because it does fancy propritary tricks inside to make it look like one giant disk. (If I remember what I read as well). That's why they are so expensive though.

I don't trust my data long term to hardware based raid. Once you have a problem you can't read ANY of the drive directly.

I'd rather use 3rd party disk pooling software such as drivebender flexraid or StableBit DrivePool to ensure any and all drives can be accessed individually-directly in the event of failure.

ikon

I think you're being a bit pessimistic about hardware RAID. True, you may not be able to directly read individual RAID drives if a controller fails, but most often you can transfer the drives to another card from the same manufacturer, even if it's not the exact same model. Add a good backup plan to that and I think your data is pretty safe in the long term.

Michael Brown

I think you're being a bit pessimistic about hardware RAID. True, you may not be able to directly read individual RAID drives if a controller fails, but most often you can transfer the drives to another card from the same manufacturer, even if it's not the exact same model. Add a good backup plan to that and I think your data is pretty safe in the long term.

This kind of goes with a question I was about to ask. I currently have a RAID 5 array running on a Highpoint 2640X4 SGL card. That array is filling up so I intend to build a new array with the WD Red drives attached to a 2720 SGL card. Can I attach the old array to the card along with the new array and expect to be able to read the data in the old array? I'd like to do this in order to transfer my current data to the new array.

jmwills

Does the current card have the ability to expand thru OCE (Online Capacity Expansion)? If so, that's the route to go.

Reading back thru your post....are these all 3TB drives? Do you have an extra box to leave the current array running in - build the new one in a new box and then copy data over, then OCE it.

Michael Brown

The current card can expand but it can only handle 4 drives and that's where I'm at right now (4 x 2TB). Hadn't thought about it, but I guess I could stick the 2640 in my HTPC and copy the data from there.

ikon

If the number of drives is 8 or less I would think you could do as you suggest: attach the current array to the 2720, ensure it's working properly, then add the new Red drives, create an 2nd array with them, then copy the data from the current array to the new one. jmwills suggestion should work too.

Joe_Miner

Has anyone found a setting in the modded BIOS to get the eSATA port multiplier to see more than one drive in an external multi-drive eSATA box?

Tom

Not possible just buy a card. Search amazon for SiL3132

I believe JazJon is correct.

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4030-a-bit-of-help-with-external-storage/page__hl__esata

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3892-esata-card-for-hp-microserver/page__hl__esata

zrtom

Thanks guys. I have a USB 3.0 card in the box and I have a couple eSATA cards lying around. I was just wondering, with the literally hundreds of possible settings combinations the hacked BIOS presents, whether one of the combinations opens it up.

I've tried many combinations but I'm not through yet. Maybe more work with the GPP settings, although my understanding is the GPP port relates to the two PCIe slots.

Tom

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• bennybennybenny
      By bennybennybenny
      Hey guys,
      Not sure if this is the correct section to post this, but in a bit of a pickle after attempting to flash my HP Microserver N40L to the modified bios last night.

The story goes - I've had myN40L microserver for the past few years running Windows 8.1 and acting as a media server for the house. I recently upgraded a laptop I have so had a spare Samsung 840 EVO 120gb SSD that I thought I'd throw in the microserver as the boot drive. 

I ghosted the existing windows install (which was on a 250gb mechanical hard drive) over to the SSD, rebooted the computer and everything was working file. When I checked the performance of the SSD using the Samsung Magician software it indicated thatt the SSD wasn't running at full speed due to AHCI being disabled. I then did a bit of research and found that SATA port 5 (normally meant for an optical drive) that the SSD was connected to doesn't run at full speed and in IDE mode. I read that the modified bios that's floating around for Microserver's can fix this.

So I flashed the bios to my machine however now when I boot up it gets to the loading screen for windows and then errors and reboots. This boot loop just continues constantly with no way to get into windows.

I've tried setting the hard drive mode to both IDE and AHCI in BIOS with no success, I've reverted the BIOS back to default settings, took out the CMOS battery overnight, tried to re-flash back to default HP firmware, re-flashed the modded BIOS with no drives in the server and even run the windows 8 startup repair with no success whatsoever, it just continues to error and boot loop.

I did leave all 4 of my other SATA hard drives in the machine when flashing the modded bios originally so don't know if this affected it. I wish I'd just left the original BIOS on there now.

Is there anything I can try to fix this? I'd really prefer not to have to reinstall windows 8 as it took me awhile to set everything up for media (Sonarr, CouchPotato, iTunes, Serviio etc).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers Benny
    • felt
      By felt
      Bought this ML10v2 a few months ago and have been hitting wall after wall, frustrated- putting it away for a few weeks, and then trying again. I can not get it to boot from a USB and have not figured out how to recognize and identify drives!

I have gotten iLO4 working with a valid key, I have updated the SPP, registered on who knows how many HP/HPE pages, looked through the documentation- but still can't get the machine to boot to my Linux USB for installation.

This seems like a basic step, but I've kind of lost my objectivity at this point and wanted to ask for help. Is there something I need to do in iLO4 to have it recognize the install media or my drives? I can't seem to make sense of the Virtual Media field.

I want to install Ubuntu 16.04 Server- HP/SPP says it supports Canonical. How do I get the machine to 1) open into BIOS? is it F2/F9/F10/F11 during boot? My POST sequence never seems to get past 10%, and then 2) recognize my hard drives, no matter what number SATA cable, it doesn't see them. I can only open the iLO4 manager from another computer on my network, so I can't open it on local host like the (very helpful) Joe Stutsman videos and instruction guides suggest.

Anyhow, any input on this configuration would be appreciated. I know I'm missing something, but want to exhaust all options before I return this.

• nlitend1
      By nlitend1
      I upgraded 2 identical systems (both running windows 7) to SSDs and restored images via WHS 2011 and noticed that one of the systems is not running AHCI mode (according to AS SSD benchmark and device manager). I made the 2 registry changes already in windows according to this guide....
      http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/61869-ahci-enable-windows-7-vista.html   I then made sure that the BIOS had SATA configured as AHCI (and not IDE). After reboot, I did not get prompted to install the AHCI drivers and the performance is significantly less with the system that appears to be running in IDE mode.   The following are two strange things:  1. Changing the BIOS setting to AHCI or IDE never gives me a BSOD. 2. Stablebit scanner states that both TRIM and NCQ are both working on the SSD and from what I can tell NCQ cannot run without AHCI mode.   This system apparently appears to be "stuck"... in what appears to be IDE mode...Any ideas on what to try at this point? Am i looking at a clean install or even worse... corrupted BIOS?    Thanks!   nlitend1
    • TheChallinor
      By TheChallinor
      Hi,

Currently running the old and unsupported Bay version of the custom N54L firmware and looking to upgrade to Windows 8.1

Appreciate there is an issue with the NIC stopping the upgrade as it's not supported, although there is a HP bios upgrade to fix this bug. 

Obviously if I flash the bios to the latest HP version I will loose Sata II speeds on the ports that HP don't support OR I could get a NIC and keep the bios as it is.

Just looking for ideas / suggestions on what other people have done, etc.
    • Jon Hill
      By Jon Hill
      How that a few here have opted for the HP Microserver I would like to pose a question /warn here about the power options.
      I jumped at this box to migrate to 2001 as I had issues with v1 box, and here in the UK 100 GBP was too good a deal to miss at the time.

I run with the stock RAID 1 mirror on the first 2 * 2TB drives with the OS and my critical data then run a RAID 0 stripe on 2 more 2TB for video mainly recorded TV and ripped DVD’s.
      Due to the price and peace of mind I ended up with two boxed I am not sure about the recovery options for my data if the RAID(s) die as this RAID stuff is all new to me.

Sorry to the question, I have not found a way to make the box sleep or remote shutdown, I did plan to run lights out on the box as I used it on V1 with no issues. I have the latest BIOS and tried the Light's Out pdf that can point to some checks to enable sleep but I think it is not supported at all on the box.

Can anyone else verify this or know of a workaround. Not a major deal but I would like to run one box 24/7 then have the other as a backup destination NAS type thing waking and sleeping automatically.