jdzions

Win8 Storage Pools vs. DE replacements in WHS2011

jdzions

Microsoft finally announced the all-singing, all-dancing, does-what-DE-did-but-better feature for Win8, called Storage Pools.

I suppose discussion of what that might mean should happen in the "Operating Systems / Win8" section of the forum.

Personally, I hope the folks making DE replacements for 2011 don't throw up their hands and walk away. I suspect 3rd party tools are going to be easier for mere mortals to use.

Jason

(Full disclosure: I work for Microsoft, but not in the part of the company that has anything to do with this stuff. I'm just a fan of the podcast and a devoted user of WHS.)

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I agree because I would imagine a lot of people will be using WHS 2011 several years from now even though Server 8 will be out. I can't wait for Server 8.

jmwills

You mean Server 8, or whatever they call it. Server 2008 is already here.

Greg Welch

I may never use the Windows 8 pool feature, and for the most part access what i do use from the server stored on Raid

and as for Server 8, hell ya ill give it a try

ImTheTypeOfGuy

You mean Server 8, or whatever they call it. Server 2008 is already here.

Oops, thanks for the heads up. I corected it.

I may never use the Windows 8 pool feature, and for the most part access what i do use from the server stored on Raid

and as for Server 8, hell ya ill give it a try

I will use it for everything but movies.

gcoupe

Well, that Microsoft post on Storage Spaces does state that the technology can be deployed on a Home PC as well as in the Data Center, so I would hope that Microsoft will provide a simple-to-use tool for configuring at least a basic setup for the home user.

If the home version of Windows 8 does come with an entry-level storage pool capability, then all we need is the multi-client backup functionality of WHS to be available, and it seems to me that WHS 2011 has been cut off at the knees.

I wouldn't mind betting that we'll see Add-on Apps available from Microsoft in the Windows 8 marketplace that will give us more than WHS 2011 capability.

ikon

I wouldn't mind betting that we'll see Add-on Apps available from Microsoft in the Windows 8 marketplace that will give us more than WHS 2011 capability.

I wouldn't take that bet ;)

ImTheTypeOfGuy

It makes sense. Wouldn't be worth it to make WHS for 12 buyers.