RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New HTPC/Server Build - Comments & Advice Appreciated

Kaen

I think what I'm going to end up doing is buying one of the Seagate drives, hooking it up as a secondary drive and finding some software to test the dickens out of it. That'll allow me to see what kind of noise and heat I'm looking at as well. If I really, really like what I see, I'll buy the other two and build my raid.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• jmwills

• ikon

• Kaen

Top Posters In This Topic

For 3TB drives I've only bought Hitachi and they've been fine. I've bought 5 over time (so different mfg months) and haven't had an issue and they are quiet. For drives in general my own experience mimics other comments. WD Green go bad over time so a lot of RMAs. I've had an abnormally high DOA rate for Seagates so avoid them. No issues with Samsung or Hitachi. unfortunately those last two are being consumed by WD and SG.

FWIW, I've had 2 Green WD30EZRX 3TB's since early last September with no problems. I had both in my desktop but recently moved one to my new HTPC build I just wrote up. I had gotten the drives before the price increases when I was collecting HW for my earlier HTPC build because of a sale too good to pass up and they really came in handy when I had to rebuild my EX-487 by giving me a convient place to copy my server data too while I rebuilt it. I like their low power consumption and low noise -- and with their SATA 6GB/s speed and 64MB Cache I think they're pretty responsive.

Just to make things interesting -- I see that Newegg has the HITACHI H3IK40003254SW (0S03364) 4TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive now on their web site. Being a WD fanboy I'll wait and see what WD offers in the 4TB class because they are apparently on their way.

One of the take-aways I got from BYOB-73 was that we should be prepared for all consumer grade drives to fail (know where your spares are) so unless your willing to go with Enterprise Grade drives (big big $'s and out of the question because of low WAF in my house) you should plan for failure and take steps to find/predict it ahead of time before the failure becomes catastrophic. BYOB-73 is a must listen IMHO (be sure to take notes).

Read as, consolidate your servers. I'm going virtual on just about everything and this should allow me to repurpose some drives from a physical box. I can't say I agree with waiting on 4TB drives at this point simply becasue of the cost and the need for three just to build a new array. Just my opinion, though.

For 3TB drives I've only bought Hitachi and they've been fine. I've bought 5 over time (so different mfg months) and haven't had an issue and they are quiet. For drives in general my own experience mimics other comments. WD Green go bad over time so a lot of RMAs. I've had an abnormally high DOA rate for Seagates so avoid them. No issues with Samsung or Hitachi. unfortunately those last two are being consumed by WD and SG.

I concur with the opinion about Seagate drives. I stopped buying them some years ago. Nothing I've heard since then makes me want to go back to them. We can only hope that Seagate will learn how to build more reliable drives from the acquisition of Samsung's HDD division, but I'm not holding my breath ;)

Most of my of my past issues has been with Seagate. I have had a coupe of drive failures with WD as well but in % WD has been much better. Out of 5 seagate drives I bought, 2 went bad. I have owned well north of 120 WD (at least 50% have been green drives) in the last 2 years and have lost 2, one was a green, and one was a black caviar. If you ask me, I will go with WD anytime. Ultimately it is what you are comfortable with and what experiences you have had so you have to be comfortable with your choice.

Thanks guys. On an exciting note, my case, ssd, memory and raid card showed up yesterday. I'm buying the rest of the parts as they go on sale. Regardless of sales, I will have the entire thing bought by the end of the month though. I will get some pictures this weekend and start my build thread. Should be fun!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I've almost got everything setup with this machine(pictures are coming, I promise), but I'm have a little issue with something I'm trying to do and need help.

I followed this thread and setup the user folders on the RAID array without any issues. What I now want to do is the same thing for our laptop. I have three profiles on our laptop. Mine, my wife's and a travel profile.

Is there a way to have my wife and I's profiles on the RAID array over the network while keeping the travel profile on the laptop's SSD in case we travel at some point and take the laptop with us?

Maybe there is a better way to do this altogether?

Should I just repoint the My Docs, My Pics, My Music, etc. folders instead?

Also, I tried just setting the laptop user folders to be on the RAID array already following the same instructions as I used on the this machine, but it won't work because it can't see the mapped drive until AFTER I logon, but I can't logon until it can see the mapped drive. How would I fix this?

Edited by Kaen

Sounds a bit like you're wanting roaming profiles. The gotchya, I believe, is that you can only have roaming profiles if you have a domain. You probably don't want to do that.