RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New HTPC/Server Build - Comments & Advice Appreciated

Kaen

I've never seen that case either. It looks a little taller than my Silverstone cases but agreed that is a great price,

Yeah, I jumped on it last night as well as the SSD($110 off), Mem(15% off) and PSU($55 off). Should be able to start a build thread next week. :)

Edited by Kaen

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• jmwills

• ikon

• Kaen

Top Posters In This Topic

The stock cooler fan is just fine.

Good deal, money saved. :)

Hopefully the stock fan is quiet enough for the living room, but if not I'm sure that can easily be replaced. I'm just glad the cooler doesn't have to be replaced as the good aftermarket one's are getting expensive.

I've built, let's see, 8 systems in the last 14 months and all but one had a stick cooler. Both HTPC's use the stock. No issues. You'll be fine.....while i type this on the laptop..I notice the fan on it is louder than one on the HTPC.

I've built, let's see, 8 systems in the last 14 months and all but one had a stick cooler. Both HTPC's use the stock. No issues. You'll be fine.....while i type this on the laptop..I notice the fan on it is louder than one on the HTPC.

Awesome. I was hoping it would be. It's nice to shave a few bucks here and there. I'll use it to send the wife on a Starbucks run. That'll get her to turn the other way while my computer parts are laying all over her dining room table. ;)

Hello Everyone,

I'm really glad I found this site. Extremely helpful information. I'm building an HTPC/Server for our home. It will be used to store photos, movies(home and ripped), recorded TV, music, documents, etc., etc., etc. It will be used as an HTPC in our living room as well as serve a laptop(MC Extender), Xbox 360(MC Extender), tablet(w/Playon), 2 smartphones(w/PlayOn) and possibly a second laptop(MC Extender) down the road. Laptops will be expected to run very thin with most info being kept on this HTPC/Server.

The following is my proposed build. I would appreciate any help that can be provided in narrowing down my shopping list. Feel free to approve, disapprove, replace, delete, add, etc. No need to beat around any bushes with me either. I want to get this right and not go overboard OR regret my decisions 6 months down the line.

Case: Silverstone GD06

MB: Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500

Mem: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 2133

OS Drive: Patriot Pyro SE 120GB SATA III OR OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SATA III [[[DECISION HELP NEEDED]]]

Bluray Drive: LG 12X Super Blue with 3D Playback & M-DISC Support SATA

Raid Controller: HighPoint RocketRAID 640

Raid Drives: 3-4x WD Caviar Green 3TB 6.0Gb/s 5400RPM OR 3-4x Seagate Barracuda 3TB 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM [[[DECISION HELP NEEDED]]]

Power Supply: Seasonic SS-460FL Fanless 460W OR Seasonic SS-560KM 560W OR Corsair Enthusiast TX650M 650W [[[DECISION HELP NEEDED]]]

External HDD: 2TB USB 3.0 (Already Own)

OS: Windows 7 x64 (I really wish WHS had MC integrated. Maybe next version)

So without putting together a fancy diagram, my plan is to put the spin drives into a RAID 5 config. I will ghost my OS to the RAID Array. I will backup my critical items(photos, critical docs, etc.) to the external drive. I will also be backing up my entire RAID to CrashPlan 3 with the exception of movies.

I would appreciate any input ya'all can provide on this build. I obviously am not sure about a few things such as:

• First time using an SSD
  • 5400RPM vs 7200RPM drives for this purpose
  • Fanless vs Fanned for this purpose as well as Seasonic vs Corsair.

Thanks for taking a look!

A bit late to the party but here is my two cents.

Go with the OCZ drive as they update their firmware more often which is helpful considering the history of the all the Sanforce drives out there. As for hard drives, I am not a fan of seagate so my vote is WD.

pcdoc, better late than never and your opinion is valued none the less.

Here is the latest list so far separated by purchased and to-be purchased:

Purchased(Mainly because they were on sale of some type). All of this arrives tomorrow!

Still to purchase or still under consideration

So, I still don't know what I want to do about my hard drives. When I started my research, there were five things I was looking at: reliability, noise, heat, power usage and speed. Since beginning my search, I have given up on power usage as a consideration. As I see it, these are the benefits of each based on reviews at amazon and newegg as well as various reviews on the internetz from places like silentpcreview, anandtech, tomshardware, etc.:

• 3TB WD Green: Reliability, power usage, heat and noise
  • 3TB Seagate: Moderate Reliability, moderate power usage, heat, and SPEED, SPEED, SPEED. There were alot of different views on the noise level of this drive as well. It got a great review on silentpcreview.com
  • 3TB Hitachi: Moderate Reliability, moderate power usage, heat and some saying it was a quiet drive. Expensive compared to the other two drives though.

I'm thinking about giving up on the noise factor as well. Even though it's going into an HTPC for now, these drives will ultimately end up in a basement or data closet once I pull them out of this rig and build a WHS in about a year.....maybe less. That leaves me with reliability, heat and speed. The WD definitely has the first two, but not the speed. I haven't found any reviews on the Seagate's heat output, but I haven't seen any complaints either. As for reliability, while I will concede that there seems to be more reviews about DOA's and such with the Seagate drive, you know what they say about consumer reviews. Negative comments are the most vocal. I've own Seagate, WD, Hitachi and Samsung drives and never had a problem with any of them. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I'm not sure if all of this rambling is getting me anywhere. I really want the speed from the Seagate drive, but I see a lot of negativity about Seagate on these forums. Could some of you share why or what issues you've had?

My order for purchasing the drives would be Hitachi, Seagate, WD. In my opinion, WD drives are highly over rated as I have returned more of them than any and I have bought the fewest of them. For me their return rate is very high. As we all know, opinions are like $@%^@ so everyone has them.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the reliability of the WD Green drives. I don't want to speak for him, but I believe ITTOG is also of the opinion that WD Greens are 'seconds' that didn't pass WD's tests for their higher priced drives. I'm sure you will get lots of feedback saying I'm wrong, but I have stopped buying WD Green drives because I found they develop bad sectors much too rapidly for my liking. I now buy WD RE4 drives to get the reliability I want.

That's my opinion. Others will no doubt disagree, but I stand by it.