RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Getting Started with WHS advice

waynerp

Hi All,

i've had a search for getting started threads and could'nt find anything.

i am totally new to servers and need some sad newbie advice.

i've got a HP Proliant Microserver N36L with two 500gb hard drives, and i am getting two more of the same hard drives this week, so there will be four.

I have two seperate PC's and two laptops which are networked in my house.

Ideally i want to use the HP server as access for all my pc's and laptops for regularly used documents, and so that it can always be synced and accessed by all units in my network, and secondly i want to use it as a secondry backup, so in theroy two of the drives will be used for syncing and basic use, and the other two will be as a secondry backup.

Ive just got a copy of WHS 2011 64bit, Now the real stupid question i guess is... do i need an operating system to be installed on the HP server or do i just install whs straight on to it?

many thanks in advance

Edited by waynerp

Your solution is fairly easy. Put all the data on the server. No need for syncing among 4 clients.

WHS is the OS. There are plenty of install guides on this site as well as others. Google.

Basically, WHS will install like any other OS. Boot from the CD and define the drive for the OS install. A 160 gig drive will be required unless you do some modifications.

Ok i've made some progress installing whs, then found this link http://www.tenniswoo...hp-microserver/

so i basically started again and set my two drives to raid 1 and am currently re-installing whs.

does anyone know if it is essential to have the AMD raid configuration utility as the link is asking for a username and password and i cant find it on the amd website.

surely i can manage the raid through WHS ?

regards

wayne

Edited by waynerp

For WHS 2011 you don't "need" the AMD utility. I ran this config briefly and WHS2011 just saw the mirror as a single drive and it runs fine. It does look like the "AMD SB8xx SATA RAID Configuration Utility for Windows® Server 2008 and Windows® Server 2008 R2 (RAIDXpert)‘" utility addresses my main complaint that there's no external feedback to the state of the array, you need to go into the BIOS. So from that perspective you may want it. Without some external alerting you run the risk a drive failing and then the second drive failing before you even knew the first one failed.

Ok thanks for your advice. i'll have a hunt for the AMD raid utility.

do you know of any similar software that does the same thing, that isn't so difficult to find?

regards

No need for additional software if the board will do it. You can also do this from within the server software.