RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Best Walk Through on Migrating WHS V1 to WHS 2011

mysticgeek

Hey everyone. So, my WHS V1 system drive died.

All my data is fine and backed up so that isn't an issue. I'm reinstalling V1 on an extra drive I have, just to get it rolling again for now.

I think this is a good time for me to upgrade to WHS 2011 though. I haven't really been in the loop lately on WHS 2011.

What do you guys think are the best articles on making the switch? I want to come up with a plan of attack. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance guys!

The article that tells you to avoid WHS 2011.

But seriously, I have not upgraded because of all the bugs (changes your metadata, won't install connector, run out of space for backups (even though you aren't using any), etc) it has. Spend one day on here and you will see what I am talking about. With that said, there are plenty here that have never had a problem with it. It obviously is better than v1 in the speed department given it doesn't have DE. Unfortunately I don't know of any good artilces for you because most are por or con. I have yet to find one that does a good job of the pros AND cons.

Hey everyone. So, my WHS V1 system drive died.

All my data is fine and backed up so that isn't an issue. I'm reinstalling V1 on an extra drive I have, just to get it rolling again for now.

I think this is a good time for me to upgrade to WHS 2011 though. I haven't really been in the loop lately on WHS 2011.

What do you guys think are the best articles on making the switch? I want to come up with a plan of attack. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance guys!

I would start with: Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 Unleashed

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I finally got my Version 1 server up again. Maybe I will just roll with this for now, I love it and version 1 works fine for my needs. But being a geek i want to get the latest greatest...haha. I don't know if I want to use it as a main production box though. I've worked in it in VMs and such...but I dunno. No reason to rush to upgrade I guess.

I like the looks of this box though ... http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=610

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I finally got my Version 1 server up again. Maybe I will just roll with this for now, I love it and version 1 works fine for my needs. But being a geek i want to get the latest greatest...haha. I don't know if I want to use it as a main production box though. I've worked in it in VMs and such...but I dunno. No reason to rush to upgrade I guess.

I like the looks of this box though ... http://www.wdc.com/e...cts.aspx?id=610

Others have commented that the WD look like nice boxes. They are perhaps a bit on the pricey side, and the CPU is an Atom, but perhaps the biggest potential issue is that they only hold 4 drives as I understand it (I couldn't find out for sure from the specs, but 8TB max suggests 4x2TB drives, although it could be 5x2 in RAID5).

But, if those limitations are not a concern in your situation then it looks like an excellent unit to me.

Jim Clark over at WGS has a good article on upgrading to WHS2011 http://www.wegotserved.com/2011/04/11/upgrade-upgrade-windows-home-server-2011/

As for the WD4000, true, it's a Atom CPU so do try to add a bunch of extra software and add-ins (like I do) but with the RAID setup and comercial grade hard drives, read/write transfer speeds are the best you can get. Since it's 2011 and WD will setup the drives for you, a 12TB version is expected using 4 3TB drives.