RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New MC Server Build - SATA II vs SATA III Question

Kaen

Hey All,

Lots of information on this site and I'm sorry if I've missed this question asked somewhere else.

I'm building a media center server using mini-ITX format. I've been looking for a board to start with that will give me expandability when it comes to onboard HD slots. I plan on only using RAID 1 for 2 drives that I will store our pictures, videos and my wife's photos from her beginnings as a professional photographer on. The other drives I install will not be in RAID and will include non-sensitive files, recorded TV, movies, music, etc. on as well as a separate drive that will hold the OS and programs that will ghost to a USB 3.0 external 1TB drive I happen to have.

I'm stuck on my motherboard because of the lack of ITX boards out there that offer a high quanitity of SATA III drive slots. Right now, I'm stuck on either this board and this cpu if I go SATA III that only has 4 ports or this board and this cpu if I go SATA II that has 6 ports.

My question is how much of a difference will SATA III make over SATA II for a HTPC/Server because I'd really like to have the 6 ports? It will run 24/7. I know III is twice as fast as II, but will I notice it on this rig?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Personally I would go with the SATA III. However, there are millions of HTPC's with SATA II ports and drives working without any problems. So in this case I suggest you decide on what is most important to you. The extra ports or a little more speed that isn't required for an HTPC.

I guess that answers my question if my HTPC/Server isn't going to need SATA III speed. Why would you go with SATA III and less ports in that case?

There's always a certain amount of personal preference in these choices, but I agree that SATA III isn't really needed for an HTPC. If it was a photo or, even more so, a video editing machine, then I would say SATA III is a benefit.

When I was looking to build my HTPC I tried to a mini-ITX board that would suit me but couldn't. Like you, all I could find were AMD boards. Because of the advantages of the onboard video capabilities of the i3/i5 CPU's, I decided to go Intel, so I had to go micro-ATX.

There's always a certain amount of personal preference in these choices, but I agree that SATA III isn't really needed for an HTPC. If it was a photo or, even more so, a video editing machine, then I would say SATA III is a benefit.

When I was looking to build my HTPC I tried to a mini-ITX board that would suit me but couldn't. Like you, all I could find were AMD boards. Because of the advantages of the onboard video capabilities of the i3/i5 CPU's, I decided to go Intel, so I had to go micro-ATX.

Thanks ikon. This is exactly the issue I'm running into as well and have started thinking about making the same concession. A big part of this is trying to make sure it fits in my entertainment center and looks like a piece of entertainment electronics for the WAF. I only have so much depth to work with because of glass doors that have to shut in front of this unit. (It's funny how some of the simplest, silliest thing that have nothing to do with the PC itself affect decisions around how to build it). I'd really love to have an HTPC and WHS, but financially that is not an option at this point so I need to have a unit that serves as both for now.