RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
ImTheTypeOfGuy

DHCP Reservations List

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I have a DLink DIR-825. I am trying to reserve an IP for my desktop and I get an error. It allows me to reserver it fine but when I try to save it, it tells me it is an invalid MAC address. Anyone know what the problem is; more importantly, how to correct it? Can I reserve it another way. My MB for that computer is the ASUS Sabertooth.

jmwills

Leave the dashes out of the address. IPV4 only

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Leave the dashes out of the address. IPV4 only

Do you mean colon's? Or are the colon's and dashes interchangeable?

ikon

sounds like it's already been assigned to another computer at one time. Any chance you can do a hard reset on the router?

Do you mean colon's? Or are the colon's and dashes interchangeable?

Colons and dashes are NOT interchangeable. Some systems insist on colons, some dashes, and some insist on nothing at all. There is absolutely no standard, each manufacturer does whatever they want. Often, it's very aggravating, especially when you're extracting MAC addresses from one system to be used in another, particularly when you want to use them in an automated process.

jmwills

Particularly if you have an open access point. Look at the example in the router setup.

A real DHCP server only wants the numbers and letters...no dots, dashes or any other metaphors.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I tried it by deleting the colons and still no luck. I looked at it closer and noticed that the four devices that I have reserved only have numbers in the first two positions. My desktop had a letter in the second position. So, I found two other devices on my network that had letters in the second position and tried to reserve them and I get the same error. So it seems it could be an issue with the letter??????

jmwills

Nope...my laptop MAC address begins with 14-FE-xxxxxxxx while the WHS server begins with 00-14

I'd reset the router and make sure you have only have a 12 character number as this is the IPV4 address.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I discovered a beta forum for dlink and was able to solve my problem. It stated I needed to update my firmware. Problem with that is I already tried to do it and it wouldn't update. Luckily I found info on how to get around that problem. Now all is good. Thanks for trying to provide a solution.

ikon

I discovered a beta forum for dlink and was able to solve my problem. It stated I needed to update my firmware. Problem with that is I already tried to do it and it wouldn't update. Luckily I found info on how to get around that problem. Now all is good. Thanks for trying to provide a solution.

Glad you got it all working. :)

BTW, no way should having a letter in the 2nd octet cause an error in a DHCP reservation. If it did, it would be a major flaw.

Greg Welch

Can you tell me if the mac is different now then the one you started with also does the sabortooth have 2 nics