RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My PC won't boot... sort of

Don W

My computer would not boot the other day and it had an error message that there was not a boot disk found. So I thought that the hard drive was bad so I replaced it. Then I booted of the cd and loaded windows on the new drive and I got the same message that there was no boot disk found so I thought the SATA controller was bad on my motherboard. Well after reseting the BIOS and other troubleshooting adventures I was about to give up but I tried booting off of a USB CD Drive that had hard drive checking software on it but I failed to ( Press any key to boot off this CD ) and found that my PC booted off the hard drive just fine, Then I tried rebooting with out the USB drive connected and it would not boot again so rebooted with the USB drive and bootable cd but did not press a key to select that drive and just waited and it booted fine off the hard drive.

Has anyone seen this kind of problem and have any ideas as to what to do or do I have a bad SATA controller/motherboard???

Don

Go into the BIOS and check the boot order of the devices and make the HDD the first one, Thne check the connectors from the HDD to the board for tightness and as a last resort connect to a different port.

Next up, PSU and Memory

Go into the BIOS and check the boot order of the devices and make the HDD the first one, Thne check the connectors from the HDD to the board for tightness and as a last resort connect to a different port.

Next up, PSU and Memory

Given it does boot off the hard drive all the connections should be fine. Also, the boot order shouldn't matter because it is obviously checking the USB port and then going to the HDD like it should. Changing the order should just make the boot order faster as it would check the hard drive first. Doesn't make sense to me.

I had a Power Supply go bad this summer and it totally jacked up the boot order....don't ask me how.

I had a Power Supply go bad this summer and it totally jacked up the boot order....don't ask me how.

Thanks for the idea to swap out the power supply, it worked. Never heard of a PS giving this kind of problem.

Don

It had me stumped for about a half day until I checked the BIOS to verify everything.....hey...chalk one up for the old guy!

Glad to know we helped out.