RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
thevolt5

My Whs2011 Software Or Hardware Raid Setup ?

thevolt5

Okay ive been looking over a few of the RAID cards available and ive chosen the Highpoint RocketRAID RR2720SGL as it looks like a good card for the money ,,will this be suitable then for my setup and defeat the poor write speeds and be fully compatable with WHS2011 and the WD20EARS drives and be suitable with RAID5 setup? thanks again.

pcdoc

Okay ive been looking over a few of the RAID cards available and ive chosen the Highpoint RocketRAID RR2720SGL as it looks like a good card for the money ,,will this be suitable then for my setup and defeat the poor write speeds and be fully compatable with WHS2011 and the WD20EARS drives and be suitable with RAID5 setup? thanks again.

Good choice and is the best decision for reasons stated earlier in your post. If you search this site you will a bunch of benchmarks on this or the 2680 card. You should not have any performance issues. I write to my arrays all the time with no performance issues. I max out my network connection as well as RAID to RAID transfers around 180 megs/sec. I put a link to my setup videos as well.

Here are some helpful videos.

thevolt5

Hi again I received my Highpoint RocketRAID RR2720SGL and fitted and configured in the RAID5 setup ive done a quick benchmark see below in RAID5 setup with the x5 2TB Western Digital WD20EARS drives.

Are these scores correct for my setup is there anything that I should change within WHS2011 or in the Highpoint Web RAID Managment to improve the speeds? thank you.

07b71981.jpg

thevolt5

1000MB

864675d7.jpg

2615278d.jpg

2615278d.jpg

thevolt5
cd352a6c.jpg

ikon

Wow, the speeds really drop into the toilet after 512K. I'm sure pcdoc will know better than me, but that seems like an awfully big performance hit.

pcdoc

What you are seeing is somewhat normal. Remember that RAID 5 has some overhead as it has to write parity bits therefore write performance on smaller files will take a hit. The impact on larger files is usually not as bad. The other thing is that green drives are also not the fastest in the world so when you consider that your card has to write to two or more drives to complete its process. Lastly, Crystalmark is the worst case scenario as it writes completely random data as opposed to linear writes other benchmarks use. My suggestion is that you let you daily use dictate whether or not it is fast enough as what you are getting is normal. Keep in mind that it is faster than than all software solutions but if you think you need more speed, then you will have to go to RAID 10 for faster write speeds. I am not sure what you are using this for but if it is a sever, this will more than handle anything you can throw at it.

Here is the bench off my WHS 14T (8 Drives) server using a 2720 with Antivirus running and before I upgraded my CPU which helps a bit.

raid14tcrystaldiskmark.jpg

thevolt5

Thanks guys for replying I’m glad that the speeds are okay average I guess for this card in a RAID5 setup and not forgetting the drive speeds in general being a green drive I guess.

Is the sector size better set to 512 or 4K ?

The machine will be used as a simple dedicated storage station to hold all the hard drives to be honest as a home server to distribute hold all my Blu-ray backups and DVDs video content basically to other media devices PC Xbox 360/PS3 I use Windows Media Centre with My Movies plug in allot of the time with other machines within the home so hoping the transfer rates will be okay for the HD content and large file sizes 45GB plus etc. and maybe streaming.Im using a Asus RT-N15U as my network bridge between each device.

Is it necessary to run Antivirus software in the background with WHS2011?

Are there other benchmarks besides CrystalDiskMark that will give me a more accurate speed reading for my setup? Thank you.

Edited by thevolt5

ikon

Are there other benchmarks besides CrystalDiskMark that will give me a more accurate speed reading for my setup? Thank you.

You could try ATTO.