RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
thevolt5

My Whs2011 Software Or Hardware Raid Setup ?

jmwills

Yes I deleted the RAID5 and started again from scratch and tried running the WD Align on each drive before creating the RAID array? and all appeared the same it’s a very simply tool you boot run the wizard within the OS and it checks if they are Aligned or not that’s it, and all individual drives where displaying Aligned and nothing needed to be changed so I can’t edit change anything else when because it states Aligned correctly.

After setting the RAID5 in the BIOS and booted into the OS under the Disk Management I chosen the GPT format and then created the new volume simple formatted as NTFS etc... And appears as the full 7.2TB correctly is this correct way?

I’m not totally certain that the hard drives are formatted running under the 4K or 512 and not sure how to confirm this I’ve taken some images of the drives booted in the OS if this helps.

Think the easiest question is anyone else running the Western Digital WD20EARS model hard drive under the WHS2011 in a RAID5?

I’m not sure if it’s a software issue or hardware?

If its total down to the the fact the INTEL RAID is the issue and doesn’t support the RAID5 and the cause of the slow write speeds more to the fact. If this is the problem I guess the best option would be to find a compatible RAID card instead to fix the issue and get the RAID performing the correct speeds etc... What are the best entire level cards that will work well with my setup thank you?

wday.jpg

intelraid2.jpg

intelraid.jpg

The GPT process you went through is the correct way to have presented the new array to the OS. The only thing that immediately that comes to me about the 4k vs 512 issue is that one drive is on the first available SATA port on the board, or is this a controller card?

ImTheTypeOfGuy

He is using the MB.

Most people here are using the Highpoint Rocketraid 2680 or 2720.

jmwills

@thevolt5.....can you provide a screenshot highlighting another drive?

thevolt5

The OS is runing off the onboard INTEL sata PORT0 see pics OS not included in the RAID just the x5 drives configured in RAID5 and the six drive seperate from the RAID.

faaa0f59.jpg

9783aab7.jpg

0eb195b5.jpg

dc2211fc.jpg

bab91c1d.jpg

b6f22aa7.jpg

6c205065.jpg

jmwills

Thanks...that setting should be in the setup of the RAID on the board. When you choose the RAID type (0-1-5-10, etc) the cluster size should be the next option to configure. Were you prompted for this? Go the 4k route.

fredp1

In the early days I tried the intel mb raid solution but was disappointed with the speed. I don't believe it was as slow as yours for writes.

There are 2 factors that may/will help.

1) the strip size of the array. It might be a trial and error approach to picking the best number that gives your better performance. I would start of with 64k

2) the windows format allocation size. Normally it's on default/4096, but the drop down list allows you to change it.

Some people have mentioned that getting the best results with intel on board raid is a hit an miss affair.

I tried 3 seagate green drives but felt it was too slow with very possible combo of the 2 above settings.

I then bit the bullet and went with a proper raid card.

I heard of great results if you add a ssd drive as part on the intel mb raid volume as that helps to accelerate the volume when configured accordingly.

But I would try and get the base array working faster. The wd ears drives shoud provide much better results.

thevolt5

The only options I get in the setup of the RAID in the BIOS is 64kb and 128kb,,I all so set up a RAID0 and that performs correct speeds in the benchmark which is stange?

5f16ee23.jpg

jmwills

The Up/Down arrow will change that value and have you checked for a BIOS update?

thevolt5

I've tryed the 64kb and 128kb stripe and no difference in write speeds.

It's looking like INTEL onboard raids configured to a RAID5 setup is a probleme :( RAID0 is a big risk gamble with such a large raid of 10TB

I may well have to find a seperate raid card and just run the OS off the onboard INTEL sata.

jmwills

Did you check for the BIOS update?