RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
thevolt5

My Whs2011 Software Or Hardware Raid Setup ?

jmwills

Include the first disk (Drive 0) in the RAID and get another drive for the OS. 160 gig is all you need.

thevolt5

Unfortunatly I only using the onboard INTEL Sata which has x6 SATA Ports.So would you recomend leaving the OS Drive out of the RAID setup?

jmwills

There are mnay posts here referencing the Rocket RAID Cards with the 2870 being one of the most popular. I believe that card has six ports so you could run your array form there and the OS form the connectors on the board.

ikon

Okay thank you how do I go about starting the initialize processes?

Would you say it’s a better safer option NOT to include the OS Hard drive in the RAID array?

I was advised to use all the same brand and size hard drives in the install but im considering a SSD Hard drive for the OS or do I need to match the other capacity?

I think what ITTOG was saying is that it's already initializing. If you can copy files to it, it has to be initializing; otherwise it would be unusable.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Yes, it is already initializing. Set back and wait.

I recommend you do not put your OS as part of the raid, especially if it isn't the same size as the others. If it isn't, the array would make all the drives the same size as the smallest drive.

fredp1

During the initialise phase of the array, the speed of te array will be impacted.

One of the downsides of not using a raid solution with some battery backup for the cache or a ups, is if you have a dirty shutdown/ power outage, the raid card/firmware raid will rebuild the array again. This will slow things down until the rebuild process is complete. ( your data will be safe)

pcdoc

I think several here have addressed your questions so I will echo some thoughts. I do not like on-board raid for several reasons. First it is not portable, potential issues when swapping a motherboard, extremely slow build/re-build times, and lastly unreliable (almost always rebuilds when there is a power loss etc.) My suggestion before you go past the point of no return is to invest in a controller. As for the slow down, as mentioned it can take 3-5 days to build the array this size and good luck if you loose power as ITTOG has stated. A RAID this size would be a mistake using an on-board controller. Just my two cents.

thevolt5

Hi again okay good new the RAID completed the Initialize and now 100% complete and now the status on post reads NORMAL,, Unfortunately after running a benchmark see pic im getting very poor write speeds after doing a little more homework in to the mater its seems to be a common problem with the WD Caviar Green WD20EARS drives as they are advanced format drives and run under the 4K sector size to my disappointment and most typically common hard drives run a 512 sector size.

Does the OS WHS2011 support this as im sure the operating system such as Windows 7 Vista cater for this and auto configure for this? I’ve ran the Acronis WD Align Tool and all seems normal and all drives are stating aligned correctly so nothing I can do there does anyone have a fix for this?

Do I have to convert format the 4K to 512 to gain the correct wright speed? How do I go about this or is there an easier fix to get my RAID5 up to speed thank you once again people...

60703018.jpg

Edited by thevolt5

ikon

You ran the WD Align on each drive before creating the RAID array?

thevolt5

Yes I deleted the RAID5 and started again from scratch and tried running the WD Align on each drive before creating the RAID array? and all appeared the same it’s a very simply tool you boot run the wizard within the OS and it checks if they are Aligned or not that’s it, and all individual drives where displaying Aligned and nothing needed to be changed so I can’t edit change anything else when because it states Aligned correctly.

After setting the RAID5 in the BIOS and booted into the OS under the Disk Management I chosen the GPT format and then created the new volume simple formatted as NTFS etc... And appears as the full 7.2TB correctly is this correct way?

I’m not totally certain that the hard drives are formatted running under the 4K or 512 and not sure how to confirm this I’ve taken some images of the drives booted in the OS if this helps.

Think the easiest question is anyone else running the Western Digital WD20EARS model hard drive under the WHS2011 in a RAID5?

I’m not sure if it’s a software issue or hardware?

If its total down to the the fact the INTEL RAID is the issue and doesn’t support the RAID5 and the cause of the slow write speeds more to the fact. If this is the problem I guess the best option would be to find a compatible RAID card instead to fix the issue and get the RAID performing the correct speeds etc... What are the best entire level cards that will work well with my setup thank you?

wday.jpg

intelraid2.jpg

intelraid.jpg

Edited by thevolt5