RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Blurays Won't Play in MC

ImTheTypeOfGuy

On my HTPC I have My Movies (MM) and TMT5 installed. I recently uninstalled and reinstalled MM (version update and removed the server from WHS to the HTPC being server and client) and now blurays will not play on my xbox like they did before. I get an error message saying

NOT COMPATIBLE

The media is not direct compatible with Media Center extenders. Please see options for Transcoding media.

Anyone know where the problem lies?

On my HTPC I have My Movies (MM) and TMT5 installed. I recently uninstalled and reinstalled MM (version update and removed the server from WHS to the HTPC being server and client) and now blurays will not play on my xbox like they did before. I get an error message saying

NOT COMPATIBLE

The media is not direct compatible with Media Center extenders. Please see options for Transcoding media.

Anyone know where the problem lies?

I'm thinking you lost the link between TMT5 and MM. I would uninstall and reinstall TMT.

BTW,MM has never played blu-ray, or blu-ray folder rips, for me; that's why I got TMT.

I'm thinking you lost the link between TMT5 and MM. I would uninstall and reinstall TMT.

BTW,MM has never played blu-ray, or blu-ray folder rips, for me; that's why I got TMT.

Just uninstalled/reinstalled and it still doesn't work. I am thinking that MM or TMT5 changed something in one of the updated releases. An XBox is worthless if it won't play my blurays.

ITTOG - What is interesting is that others couldn't get the same results that you were getting (BluRay on XBox). Remember this exchange? If you figure out what makes it work again be sure to post back on your setup.

It is possible to roll back to the previous version of MM?

edit - I see ikon was posting at the same time.....

I too am anxious to hear ITTOG's response on this. :) I've spent lots of time trying/researching ways to get a blu-ray to play in an extender and came to the conclusion that it's simply not possible without transcoding the movie first. Neither MM nor TMT5 have ever allowed me to seamlessly playback a blu-ray on an extender. That said, I am hoping that ITTOG has found the holy grail and can show us all how it's done!

Okay, I think I figured it out. I have to do some additional testing to verify the best setup but I do have it working right now.

I had to rip my blu-rays back into folders. (I only had a few and ripped them to iso's and deleted all my folder structure. I apparently never tried to watch a blu-ray after doing this. Then, MM has to look at the STREAM folder of the blu-ray, not the movie name folder. I have this working on two bly-rays; only two I have tested.

It is working now but it doesn't completely make sense. I also am getting stuttering, whether transcoding is on or not. I didn't used to get this so I will have to investigate that more. These rips were done with anydvdhd. I may have used another program before that allowed me to reduce the bitrate as the current bitrate is a little over 22k. I beleive the xbox is only good to 15k?

I am getting closer, but not quite there yet.

ITTOG - What is interesting is that others couldn't get the same results that you were getting (BluRay on XBox). Remember this exchange? If you figure out what makes it work again be sure to post back on your setup. It is possible to roll back to the previous version of MM? edit - I see ikon was posting at the same time.....

I had forgotten so thanks for the reminder.

Okay, I think I figured it out. I have to do some additional testing to verify the best setup but I do have it working right now.

I had to rip my blu-rays back into folders. (I only had a few and ripped them to iso's and deleted all my folder structure. I apparently never tried to watch a blu-ray after doing this. Then, MM has to look at the STREAM folder of the blu-ray, not the movie name folder. I have this working on two bly-rays; only two I have tested.

It is working now but it doesn't completely make sense. I also am getting stuttering, whether transcoding is on or not. I didn't used to get this so I will have to investigate that more. These rips were done with anydvdhd. I may have used another program before that allowed me to reduce the bitrate as the current bitrate is a little over 22k. I beleive the xbox is only good to 15k?

So how do you get MM to look at the stream folder? That's likely what I've been doing wrong. 'Course, you have to wonder why you have to get MM to look at the stream folder; that's not normal blu-ray folder structure. Why won't it work with what's normal?

I have no idea what the max bitrate of an XBox is, but just in case it's relevant, I can tell you I had stuttering, sometimes very bad, until I replaced my multiple-switch LAN configuration with a single 16-port switch and homerunned everything to it.

I assume so it looks at the mt2s files directly instead of seeing it as a "blu-ray" but that is a wild guess. You do it by manually changing the disc location after the collection management software has added the rip.

I only have one 16 port switch and everything is cat 5E or 6. My movies are on WHS v1 so it could be a DE issue. However I didn't have the problem before, thus the need for more testing.