RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SpinRite

Don W

Does SpinRite fix failing harddrives or just determine whether it is bad or not??? I have seen a few posts about using SpinRite and was unsure about what it does.

Thanks

Don

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvn

• jmwills

• geek-accountant

• ikon

Yes and no. It can fix a degraded drive to the point where you can recover the data and repair MBR's. Running SpinRite on a regular basis can point to a potential issue.

No. I've had problems with it on my X58 system with it reordering my Boot Order and causing BSOD's till I figured out what had been done to my BIOS. It also went nuts when it saw my 3TB drives. It was far easier to use WD's free diagnostic SW and RMA the bad/failing drive at $6 for 2nd day air. I don't even have an XP system anymore (exept virtually) -- everything I have is W7.

My dad has an old XP system so I may use it on that.

Edited by Joe_Miner

Does SpinRite fix failing harddrives or just determine whether it is bad or not??? I have seen a few posts about using SpinRite and was unsure about what it does.

Thanks

Don

It doesn't just determine if it's bad or not; it tests each sector. If it runs into an issue with a sector, it will try a bunch of different techniques to read the data from the sector. After it either reads all the sector data successfully or goes through 32,768 attempts, it will write what it could recover to a new sector and flag the old one as bad.

Yes and no. It can fix a degraded drive to the point where you can recover the data and repair MBR's. Running SpinRite on a regular basis can point to a potential issue.

I would quibble a little with this. Certainly SpinRite often can fix a drive to the point where data can be recovered, and that's valuable enough in its own right, but it can also recover drives that have had an injury due to power failure, sudden shock, or other similar causes. Such drives can then continue to be used indefinitely.

I run SpinRite on a regular basis, say twice a year, to keep my drives in good running order, kinda like a car tuneup. I totally agree, though, that having to run SpinRite often on a drive, or running SR on a drive regularly, and having it find issues on the drive every time, is a definite indication that the drive has issues.

What SR level do you guys use to test out a new disk? I'm starting to think that pre-qualifying some of these huge green drives might not be a bad idea.

I just looked it up as I wanted to use it. The thing cost $89!! Is it really worth $89 and if so, why?

GA, you would be amazed at their customer service. Once you buy SpinRite, it's yours. You can be anywhere in the world, and if you find you need it and didn't bring it with you, you can simply download it again, as long as you have your receipt number with you.

If you don't have the receipt number, but have access to the internet, you could retrieve your receipt number from your hotmail or gmail account. If you didn't plan ahead that far (shame on you ;) ), you can email GRC Tech Support, give them a few details, and they will send you your receipt number. I've heard of cases where someone emailed them on a holiday Sunday and got an answer in a couple or hours. Almost restores your faith in humanity :)

It's totally worth it. Money back guarantee.

Completely agree.

No. I've had problems with it on my X58 system with it reordering my Boot Order and causing BSOD's till I figured out what had been done to my BIOS. It also went nuts when it saw my 3TB drives. It was far easier to use WD's free diagnostic SW and RMA the bad/failing drive at $6 for 2nd day air. I don't even have an XP system anymore (exept virtually) -- everything I have is W7.

My dad has an old XP system so I may use it on that.

I've never heard of SpinRite doing anything like this. I would most definitely email GRC Tech Support and ask for clarification. Please report back what you find out; I would love to know the details.

The iso is so small......perfect for some of those old USB drives to keep in your toolbox for quick fixes. If you perform any type of Tech Support, you need this tool.