RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Off topic...Sort of - Microsoft Works file converter

Don W

So I built a new PC for a friend of mine that had a very old XP machine with Works as his office program, I convinced him to upgrade to MS Office 2010 but now he cannot open any of his spreadsheets or doc's. I thought that Office had a converter built in but it only converts certain versions of Works doc's. Since his old HP PC died, it did not come with the program discs because everything was pre-loaded, I am at a loss as to how to show him how to access his old doc's. Any Ideas???

TIA

Don

The last time I ran into this, you simply had to force MS Word to open the Works documents, and they would open correctly. I'm not sure about the spreadsheets though.

Does anyone know if I buy the latest version of Works, will I be able to open any version of the old files that he has since he is not sure which version of Works he had???

Does anyone know if I buy the latest version of Works, will I be able to open any version of the old files that he has since he is not sure which version of Works he had???

Not sure about the newest version of Works. However, I've done a little research and seen indications that OpenOffice might be able to open the Works files. I haven't confirmed that it can open Works spreadsheets, but I think at this point it would be easiest to just try it. The advantages are it's free and wouldn't take long.

They still make it?

The latest verion (9) is available from MS for $39.99.

I wonder if Open Office would work on those files?????

Not sure, and I didn't find a definitive answer online, which is why I suggested to just try it and see :)