RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Greg Welch

DEEP FREEZE your PC

jmwills

Wasn't this a feature in XP?????

Greg Welch

it will be in windows 8

krom

We've used this at work and there was a bit of a performance hit on the PC's we installed it on. It's also a pain in the but to install any programs, updates, etc.as you have to unfreeze and then freeze the PC again. But that said if you have a lab or classroom or library type environment it's way better than having to constantly re-image PC's that the users screw up.

@jmwills I think what you are referring to is Steady State which was a free program by Microsoft that did the same type of thing. However they discontinued it a while back.

jmwills

Yea, I knew it was something like that...Steady - Stable, etc.....Was perfect for a Kiosk machine.

ikon

One great feature of Steady State was that you could install programs, updates, etc. just by logging in with the administrator account and telling Steady State you want to keep the changes when you log off. The regular user couldn't do that.

TommySharp

On an HTPC might be a pain especially if it records TV as it would always forget which shows you told it to record? And with something like MediaPortal which downloads all sorts of metadata you'd lose that on each reboot....

ikon

On an HTPC might be a pain especially if it records TV as it would always forget which shows you told it to record? And with something like MediaPortal which downloads all sorts of metadata you'd lose that on each reboot....

good points.

dvn

When I was using an HTPC, I had Windows updates turned off. That kept things in a steady state as far as the OS was concerned. I didn't have other software-related problems because the only software I installed was MediaBrowser which I used with Media Center. That seemed to be solid as it never gave me problems.

I'll just add that one time I decided I needed to update my ION video driver. Well, that was a mistake because it messed with my screens settings and I couldn't correct it until I reverted back to the old driver.