RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
John7

Failure to install connection software on 2 Vista PCs

John7

Well I have just used SyncToy for my data and photos. I would think there will be others that as long as there is a network link will work. The connecter offered more but though I am going off it TrueImige sees the server so that’s one for imaging (have never trusted it for more and even then always used a boot CD to use it).

ikon

Well I have just used SyncToy for my data and photos. I would think there will be others that as long as there is a network link will work. The connecter offered more but though I am going off it TrueImige sees the server so that’s one for imaging (have never trusted it for more and even then always used a boot CD to use it).

There are other apps that can be used for backing up data, or doing imaging, if there is a network link. Just to clarify, is it TrueImage that you don't trust to do more than imaging?

jeffla

Although I have no doubt your passwords are fine, change them. I just remembered that changing my server password and the clients giving me the issue's password was the last thing I did before the connector finally installed. I changed passwords, rebooted and it worked.

ikon

Although I have no doubt your passwords are fine, change them. I just remembered that changing my server password and the clients giving me the issue's password was the last thing I did before the connector finally installed. I changed passwords, rebooted and it worked.

You had to change passwords in order for the connector to install? Or you had to change passwords before the connector would work after installing?

jeffla

You had to change passwords in order for the connector to install? Or you had to change passwords before the connector would work after installing?

I can't say for sure that changing the passwords is what got the connector to install, but I'm pretty sure. People had suggested that if your server password had any special characters in it, that might prevent the connector from installing. My password did not have any special characters. This was my old password aPp8t6Y1. I changed it anyways and that seemed to have solved my problem. I also changed the password on the computer with the connector install issues.

Why Microsoft hasn't fixed the connector install issues is beyond me.

John7

I’m glad it worked for you but not for me. I am beginning to think it may be the router, but whey it wouldn’t affect the W7 install? We set up remote access last night, I was unable to access using the domain name or IP address. My son has set up WHS2011 as well, once remote access was set up I was unable to log on using the domain name or IP address. All I got was FF or IE saying unable display the web page. He was able to access us from his home though.

I was able to traceroute in one jump and get on using IP address. So I am wondering if my BiPAC could be effecting things but as said why only Vista for connexion software installing and all for web accessing I can’t see.

jmwills

This topic has been discussed several time (remote access) and it is a function of the router to route that traffic internally. The best way to know it is working is to go to a public hotspot and connect from there. If it works there, the issue is with the router. The major brands have no issues.

The very last thing I can suggest is a driver update for the NIC Cards on the Vista boxes. Get the driver from the mfg website, not Microsoft.

fredp1

There are 2 logs we should look at to get to the bottom of the error.

ClientDeploy.log and

ClientCore.msi.log

Therse can be found in the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs directory

Can you include both files so we can have a look at it?

John7

Hi the logs are too big to post had evey thing getting very upset with my trying to send them

Is there any way of attachments?

John

fredp1

meet me in the chat room and i'll send you my email address