RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
John7

Failure to install connection software on 2 Vista PCs

jmwills

Tried this on the laptop and no good I fear. Not a Net problem!

Is the laptop one of the problem Vista machines?

John7

Yes! Still enjoying my self getting all the updates downloaded/installed, with a BB line under 2Mb its a pain! But woth a try as well might the desk PC though both logs looked the same to me

Edited by John7

jmwills

Until the machines are fully patched, the connector software probably will not work. I owuld not intsall any applications as of yet and just go with the OS to see if it joins.

John7

Intrestingly I just looked on the server and the laptop wasn't installed at all on it. Every other time after failing the PC or laptop was there and usually I have deleted it?

jmwills

I would download the connector software directly from Microsoft after you fully patch these machines.

John7

I have tried but not found the installer, Will have another go. Tried getting the laptop linked after fully updating and no good. It was on the server this time though.

ikon

Out of curiosity, how many switches and stuff are there between the laptop and the server?

John7

I think I can say, but I have a SamKnows/Ofcom BB monitor/tester router installed. (http://www.samknows.com/broadband/signup) To prevent line testing while we are using the BB all network cables go to it and it detects wireless traffic (You set things up with your router then link to the monitor and change your cables over to it. So as far as I understand that means two cables linking to connected things. All the network cables are about 4/6ft long

I have tried the setup bypassing the monitoring router, simply replacing all the cables back to my router sockets, made no difference.

jmwills

I thought the Connector Software was available as a separate download with 2001 as was V1, evidently not. My bad.

http://servername/connect is the only way to get it.

John7

Oh well at least I can give up looking for it.