RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
John7

Failure to install connection software on 2 Vista PCs

John7

Hi sorry didn't get notification of reply. Yes I have removed Net ran CCleaner and let the installer download it when next run. When time alows I could try cleaning it with Net clean up (but wife has a lot of work she is catching up with on the desk PC!)

I take it net clean up tool is run after uninstalling the net versions (I took all versions off befor)

Edited by John7

jmwills

You might have "uninstalled" it but from what I read, this tool cleans it out completely.

ikon

Thats what I feared, I clean install with a lot of graphics/photo editing programs etc is a bit daunting which is why I have always used disc imiging to avoid the need. When I built the desk PC it took days to get everything on and setup we will have to look at if its worth the effert if an upgrade is likly to import the problem.

I'm not sure it matters. The main thing is to run the utility in order to completely get rid of .net.

ikon

Thats what I feared, I clean install with a lot of graphics/photo editing programs etc is a bit daunting which is why I have always used disc imiging to avoid the need. When I built the desk PC it took days to get everything on and setup we will have to look at if its worth the effert if an upgrade is likly to import the problem.

I didn't say it was likely to import the problem, but it is possible. The best first approach is to do the .net cleanup and reinstall.

jmwills

Save your data, wipe the drives, reinstall either Vista or Win 7 and your issues will more than likely go away. Your Vista installations are how many years old?????

Use Belarc Advisor to capture all of the installed programs. Once you get a stable working box, image it and connect to WHS.

ikon

Save your data, wipe the drives, reinstall either Vista or Win 7 and your issues will more than likely go away. Your Vista installations are how many years old?????

Use Belarc Advisor to capture all of the installed programs. Once you get a stable working box, image it and connect to WHS.

Yeah, Kinda time to upgrade to Win7 anyway I think.

jmwills

.....and make sure you are not using HomeGroups.

ikon

true

John7

As I suggested, I think this is a .Net issue. There is a 3rd Party Application to totally remove .Net so you can re-install it.

Tried this on the laptop and no good I fear. Not a Net problem!