RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
John7

Failure to install connection software on 2 Vista PCs

ikon

I didn't know there was software on the DVD and was fasllowing the instructions to conext to the server and install the software from there. Though I have saved it now so dont have to conext to get it running.

I don't know what jmwills suggestion is will have a look for it whan able as my wife has steem comming out in frustratioin at the amount of time I am spending on this

I have not found the jmwills suggestion any further ideas?

What jmwills was saying is that it's possible to install the connector by downloading the connector installer program from the server to the local computer and running it from the local computer instead of directly from the server. This sometimes works when it won't when run from the server.

Also, I found this article, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2520547, on the MS site. It says it applies to Win7, but you might check if the Windows Media Center Receiver service is running on your Vista machines. Maybe it applies to Vista too.

John7

Thanks for coming back, IPv6 was disabled and didn’t help. I found the MS thing on Windows Medea and again no help as my services are on manual already. I may disable it perminatly and see again. Thanks John

Edited by John7

John7

Hi found the log and saw these at the end are they to do with why its noe working/installing

SI (s) (08:F8) [12:05:56:560]: Note: 1: 1708

MSI (s) (08:F8) [12:05:56:636]: Note: 1: 2205 2: 3: Error

MSI (s) (08:F8) [12:05:56:704]: Note: 1: 2228 2: 3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1708

MSI (s) (08:F8) [12:05:56:770]: Note: 1: 2205 2: 3: Error

MSI (s) (08:F8) [12:05:56:801]: Note: 1: 2228 2: 3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1709

MSI (s) (08:F8) [12:05:56:845]: Product: Windows Home Server 2011 Connector -- Installation failed.

MSI (s) (08:F8) [12:05:56:924]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Windows Home Server 2011 Connector. Product Version: 6.1.8800.16389. Product Language: 1033. Installation success or error status: 1603.

MSI (s) (08:F8) [12:05:57:001]: Attempting to delete file C:\windows\Installer\7ba0c.msp

MSI (s) (08:F8) [12:05:57:045]: Unable to delete the file. LastError = 32

MSI (s) (08:F8) [12:05:57:127]: Deferring clean up of packages/files, if any exist

MSI (s) (08:F8) [12:05:57:194]: Attempting to delete file C:\windows\Installer\7ba0c.msp

MSI (s) (08:F8) [12:05:57:246]: MainEngineThread is returning 1603

MSI (s) (08:48) [12:05:57:334]: RESTART MANAGER: Session closed.

MSI (

jmwills

I'm at a loss other than to check the Event Viewer and look for an Event ID. Try the whole process again and when you get the failure, check the Event Viewer.

John7

Thanks for help I think all my junk will end up on ebay as I I have masses of logs that make no sence and have got nowhere with the usless program!

ikon

Sorry to hear you're giving up. Just want you to consider that many, many people, including me, have it working just fine. Whatever's wrong, I'm not convinced it's the fault of WHS2011. I only mention it because whatever is wrong could cause you problems in the future.

jmwills

If you are giving up...what are you selling>?

John7

Hi

The problem is I have no idea as to what to do to locat the isue. It would look to be on the Vista PCs as the W7 installed OK. But where to go is beyond me!

Sorry as In UK if I get rid of the HP box its a bit far as I am in the UK

ikon

Hate to ask the obvious, but why not just upgrade the Vista boxes to Win7??

jeffla

I have no useful suggestions but simply offer support. Hang in there, 2011 gave me days of trouble getting the connector installed on a brand new computer. 2011 seems to give A LOT of people problems with installing the connector. 2003 never did but something with 2011 is f-ed up. So don't give up just yet, I tried every suggestion people provided, I even sacrificed a few virgins and nothing worked. Then, suddenly, it installed after making zero changes.