RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server Backup Encryption

Technogod

I was trying to find a way to encypt my off-ste Server Backup. I tried TrueCrypt but it shows up as a RAW partiton and Server Backup doesn't like that. The solution was already built-in to WHS 2011. I enabled Bit-Locker and it solved my problem. Here is a link on how to do it http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/windowshomeserver2011/hh228214.aspx.

I was unable to Automatically unlock this drive on this computer. WHS 2011 thinks it's a system drive. I have to enter my password whenever it is attached. If anybody has any ideas on how to fix this please let me know.

I'm not entirely clear what your problem is. You're unable to automatically unlock which drive on which computer? Are you saying you've encrypted your client computer's hard drive using Bitlocker and WHS2011 is unable to automatically unlock the client drive to back it up?

Not entirely sure what the problem is either, but Crashplan will encrypt both local and offsite backup at 128bit. Crashplan Pro uses 448bit encryption. I don't think there is a way to do it with the built-in backup.

I'm refering to the Bit-Locker Encrypted Server Backup Hard Drive.

So if I have it right, you're using an external drive to back up your WHS system drive and you've encrypted it using Bitlocker. You issue now is that you want the server to automatically back up to this drive without intervention from you, but the WHS built in backup doesn't know how to unlock the external drive in order to back up data to it? Is this correct?

Close, Bit-Locker is a functionality of the WIN2008R2 OS. When you connect the external hard drive it asks for the password. When I try to configure Bit-Locker to automatically unlock the drive, it won't let me. The OS thinks it's a system drive for some reason.

Not sure what I said that would make you believe I thought Bitlocker isn't part of the OS; I am aware that it is (at least of some MS SKU's). That said, I haven't actually used it. Does it provide a feature to allow automatic unlocking? That seems a little counter-productive to the idea of security, although it wouldn't entirely surprise me.

Close, Bit-Locker is a functionality of the WIN2008R2 OS. When you connect the external hard drive it asks for the password. When I try to configure Bit-Locker to automatically unlock the drive, it won't let me. The OS thinks it's a system drive for some reason.

What are you backing up from the WHS 2011 box?