RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
c0op3r

What are you using as a router?

c0op3r

I start this topic as I have found something really neat to use as my router; and being that we are all using a Home Server we obviously have a Intranet.

So I for the last 10 years or so have been using the Linksys products, with good success, and for the last 5 of that have been flashing them with DD-WRT which makes them even better. I was using those device all the way up to the E3000 Series.

I recently switched over to the PC-Engine - the PC-Engine ALIX is a single board micro computer (x86) using the AMD geode processor:

alix.jpg

http://www.pcengines.ch/

I have mine running DD-WRT but it will run a host of other programs, and it is easily 10x faster than the Linksys / Broadcom based units, I also added a Wireless card using the Mini PCI slot: this has had mixed results (I will explain below).

SR71_PCEgine.jpg

PC-Engine_Ant.jpg

The photo with the SR71-12 card in place is not the current setup, I have an older Artheos Based Card in there right now, as the Drivers for the SR71-12 don't seem to be full-baked yet by the DD-WRT team (this has been a bit of a sore spot for me as of late).

The older Artheos chip (B/G) works like a charm, just a note the DD-WRT Software for the PC-Engine is free, but if you want to use the Wireless Drivers there is a Charge (about $22.oo$US based on Conversion rate).

One of the Admin screen Shots:

DD-wrt_Pro_3.JPG

ikon

Pardon me, but this seems familiar; did you post these pics a while back?

BTW, as much as I like dd-wrt, I like Untangle much better. It likely wouldn't run too well on that board as it does need a reasonable amount of horsepower, since it does so much more that dd-wrt.

c0op3r

I might have, if so forgive me, But there was that post a while back about the ultimate router,(which was cool) and the one thing that we dont seem to talk about at any depth is router/switch/Intranet.

I also like the PC-Engine as is draws a lower amount of power than the Untangle Boxes, and requires no Fans.

The one thing I have not tried yet is BOUNDING network channels has anyone done this?

ikon

I might have, if so forgive me, But there was that post a while back about the ultimate router,(which was cool) and the one thing that we dont seem to talk about at any depth is router/switch/Intranet.

I also like the PC-Engine as is draws a lower amount of power than the Untangle Boxes, and requires no Fans.

The one thing I have not tried yet is BOUNDING network channels has anyone done this?

Not sure what you mean by bounding; maybe it's the same thing that I know as multi-link trunking or loop bonding - basically it's combining 2 or more connections to make a single, faster one.

c0op3r

Yes Bonding is what I meant, sorry about that bad typing and even worst proof reading!

Have you tried Bonding? Did it work?

Edited by c0op3r

ikon

I haven't done this with CAT5 Ethernet in quite a while. One of the issues is that the system has to support it fully. What I mean is, if you have a switch for example that can bond its ports, whatever is at the other end of the cables connecting to those ports also has to support bonding. Not only that, but it has to support the same kind of bonding. I'm not sure of the regulatory state of bonding these days, but a while back it seemed every company had their own protocol and they weren't interoperable. In short, it was a PITA.

What I have done recently is to bond multiple LDDS circuits from the phone company to create a faster link between 2 buildings. For example connect a CAT5 cable to a Zhone Technologies network extender box and then plug 4 LDDS wire pairs into it, each providing up to 5 Mb/sec. Do the same at the other end and you have 4x5 Mb/sec combined, or 20 Mb/sec total. Not huge speed, but way better than just 5 Mb/sec.

Guest no-control

and the one thing that we dont seem to talk about at any depth is router/switch/Intranet.

What rock have you been under? We talk about networking and routers/switches quite a bit on the show and in the forums. This networking section automagically showed just a few months ago.

As for routers I currently have 4 in my home network but only the D-Link DIR-655 is active. I have a PFSense and unTangle router as VMs for testing. I also have a RRAS/ISA server that I use regularly between my home intranet and business extranet. There an old Cisco 1700 sitting in the shop collecting dust that I was going to replace the D-Link with but haven't had the desire.

For switches I only need a single D-Link 8 port GigE unit in my network. I've been looking to move to a 24 port unit or possibly a managed solution for fun, but $$$ is better spent elsewhere for now.

As for the PCengines board it's neat and all but really limited IMO. An x86 can be built for about the same cost with better support and versatility.

Not a fan of tomato but to be honest I skipped right over it to the Linux stuff then onto the Microsoft/Cisco stuff. It looks like a comsumer grade router. the D-Link DIR series offers alot of the same functionality.

Edited by no-control