RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

UltraViolet Streaming via Flixster and Digital Copy worth the effort?

Dave

I got the Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 2 Blu-Ray, DVD, and Ultraviolet disc package for Christmas and was wondering what your experience with UV has been? Anyone used the streaming or downloaded the digital copy? Wondering if it's worth the trouble or not.

I have and found the whole experience frustrating. Besides a lousy app like like Flixter, having to setup accounts, the different studios are doing it differently. These are the same geniuses that tried to do this with music before iTunes came along. Don't get me wrong I am glad they are trying and the concept is great, but the experience and execution is a bit silly. The Flixter app is one of the worst I have used and integration into your mobile device is weak. I would rather run the movies I buy through a converter than to go through this.

The Entertainment 2.0 guys have also found Ultraviolet to be less than ideal. If you want to hear them talk about the experience on a few different discs for several different studios look at their last few podcasts. Unfortunate that it's slightly different for each studio and requires a different log on for each as well from what I gather.

I can imagine how it grates the studios to provide digital copies at all; they've fought customer-copyable films every step of the way and have had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. No doubt they are providing the very minimum they think they can get away with and still say they're providing digital copies. I'm sure they hope most people will find it too frustrating, resulting in the fewest digital downloads possible. The strategy is stupid of course but I think they will have to learn the hard way.