RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Advice on new WHS build

melandchico

Just got my MB, PSU and OS. Here's the thing. I made a mistake and didn't check my order properly and by mistake I ordered the french version of WHS 2011. Can I set it up in English during the install or do I really have to have the english version. If so could I just download the english version and use the key from the one I got. Cheers

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• Joe_Miner

• melandchico

I don't think you have a license key issue because of the language. If anything, I think you might have an issue with retail key vs OEM key. For example, my understanding is that you can't use TechNet keys on retail versions of MS software.

I would try to install the French version and choose US English as the main language; see what happens.

There doesn't seem to be a retail version of WHS 2011 out there only OEM. Not sure if it's the same but I bought and installed a OEM version of Win7 for my HTPC and it worked flawlessly and I'm just a home user and not a builder of any kind. I haven't opened it yet and I just want to know if any one knows for sure if I can still have everything in English like the menus or not. I would love to save me from buying another one. Thanks

You haven't opened it? Maybe they will exchange it for you.

I haven't installed the French version of WHS2011, but a colleague told me that it's not a good idea to mix language versions of MS products. For example, he says if you install English Windows and then French Office, you will get a weird, mixed-up blend of languages.

If you used the key that came with Win7 to install it then it would work, no problem. However, if you tried to use that key with the version from TechNet I suspect it would not work.

There doesn't seem to be a retail version of WHS 2011 out there only OEM. Not sure if it's the same but I bought and installed a OEM version of Win7 for my HTPC and it worked flawlessly and I'm just a home user and not a builder of any kind. I haven't opened it yet and I just want to know if any one knows for sure if I can still have everything in English like the menus or not. I would love to save me from buying another one. Thanks

This is my understanding.....

If you haven’t broken the seal on the box I would suggest exchanging it. I believe MS sells it in “English” and “French” versions for a reason – otherwise they wouldn’t specify the language on the product and you would just pick the language you want when installing the product.

If you break the seal you own it.

When you have an OEM (Other Equipment Manufacture) version (I’ve never seen a Retail Version of WHS-2011) and install that key on a machine that package is “married” to that machine – you can’t uninstall it and move it to another machine later.

That also explains the price difference between Retail and OEM version of products like Windows 7 – the retail version you can uninstall and move to another machine (I don't know anyone who buys retail version though) – the OEM version you can’t move to another machine but it's a lot less expensive. Back in the "good ol'" DOS days just about everything was Retail :)

So, if you break the seal you own it and when you install that OEM key on a machine it’s “married” to that machine.

Edited by Joe_Miner

If you used the key that came with Win7 to install it then it would work, no problem. However, if you tried to use that key with the version from TechNet I suspect it would not work.

I’m not sure how we spun into a TechNET discussion tangent but my experience has been that it doesn’t matter where the ISO comes from (TechNET or retail/OEM disk) the KEYS work.

I’m not sure how we spun into a TechNET discussion tangent but my experience has been that it doesn’t matter where the ISO comes from (TechNET or retail/OEM disk) the KEYS work.

Interesting. I would have to do a fresh install to be 100% sure, but I recall that I couldn't use a TechNet Win7 key to install either retail or enterprise versions. I tried to do it because I figured I already had the DVD on hand so why bother downloading Win7 from TechNet and wasting bandwidth. I wonder if it depends on which software package it is.

This is my understanding.....

If you haven’t broken the seal on the box I would suggest exchanging it. I believe MS sells it in “English” and “French” versions for a reason – otherwise they wouldn’t specify the language on the product and you would just pick the language you want when installing the product.

If you break the seal you own it.

When you have an OEM (Other Equipment Manufacture) version (I’ve never seen a Retail Version of WHS-2011) and install that key on a machine that package is “married” to that machine – you can’t uninstall it and move it to another machine later.

That also explains the price difference between Retail and OEM version of products like Windows 7 – the retail version you can uninstall and move to another machine (I don't know anyone who buys retail version though) – the OEM version you can’t move to another machine but it's a lot less expensive. Back in the "good ol'" DOS days just about everything was Retail :)

So, if you break the seal you own it and when you install that OEM key on a machine it’s “married” to that machine.

I agree; exchanging is the best option.

Other Equipment Manufacture <- haven't heard that definition before. Cool.

Interesting. I would have to do a fresh install to be 100% sure, but I recall that I couldn't use a TechNet Win7 key to install either retail or enterprise versions. ...

By "my experience" I mean that I actually did it several times without any issues.

I'm not sure anymore what you were trying to do but I think it's outside the topic of this thread.

Thanks for the input. I sent it back and the company has agreed to replace it with the English version. Direct Canada has great customer service.