RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Advice on new WHS build

melandchico

This is my first ever post on any forum so please forgive me if this is not done right.

Based on my research I'm going to build a WHS 2011 based home server using the following components;

Have: Antec Nine Hundred

WD Black 160 GB (for OS)

2 X 1.5TB WD Green

1 X 3TB Seagate Barracuda

Plan on Buying: i3 2120

Asus P8H67-M LX

Munshkin 2 X 2GB RAM

TR2 500W PSU

The main use of the system is for HD media storage and streaming(Ethernet) to my HTPC and also backing up document, home photos/videos.

My plan is to add 2 more 3TB drive to create a raid5 array once the price of the HDD goes down. I have never built a server before and any input would be great, like what raid card, if any, I should use or is the on board raid with the MoBo be just fine and is this setup acceptable or should I change anything. I'm not rich and I'm not locking to out perform any one, I just want a system that will serve my needs, no pun intended and last a few years.

Thanks for any input or help.

***For better response create a new thread in a forum. I've moved this for you ;) ***

Edited by no-control

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• Joe_Miner

• melandchico

Guest no-control

My honest opinion is to wait until you have 3 3TB HDDs then build the server. splitting the mirror for a RAID5 later is a pain especially if you have no where to move the existing data. On board RAID1 is fine, but I'm not a huge fan of the performance an on board RAID5. That being said its perfectly fine if you're looking to save some money.

I would also strongly recommend using the Corsair 430W PSU it's a solid well tested unit.

I agree with no-control's point and do not try to convert a RAID later as your on board controller is not good at that and it will be a bit painful. As an alternative, use your 160 for the OS, configure the system with the two 1.5 WD in a mirror configuration for your critical data (photos etc.) and use the 3T as data storage for you movies for now. Later, add the RAID 5 using an expandable add on card. Buy at least 3 drives 2-3T and create your RAID 5. Re-point the data you want to move using the dashboard and tell WHS to use the new volume. When that is complete, convert you 3T to client backup or some other purpose. This way you can build and use now, and with little effort and no risk, you can add your expandable RAID 5 volume and move your data.

Lastly I will suggest NOT to use Thermaltake Power Supplies. Use Corsair or Cooler Master. I have tossed close to 6 Thermaltake supplies for either failure or load issues, or other defect of some kind in 2011 alone. I used to use them allot but no more. They are on the official "Do not buy" list. Just my two cents.

Lastly I will suggest NOT to use Thermaltake Power Supplies. Use Corsair or Cooler Master. I have tossed close to 6 Thermaltake supplies for either failure or load issues, or other defect of some kind in 2011 alone. I used to use them allot but no more. They are on the official "Do not buy" list. Just my two cents.

Good to know.

Thanks for the info I will change my choice for my PSU.

As for the initial set up I was thinking of just adding all the drive to the motherboard as a standalones for now until I get my other drives in a few months. My important data is already backup on an external drive so I'm not worried about critical information loss. I would like to know if the onboard raid will work for a raid5 setup or do I have to buy an card. If so with on, without going crazy. I was locking at SYBA SY-PEX40016.

Thanks for the info I will change my choice for my PSU.

As for the initial set up I was thinking of just adding all the drive to the motherboard as a standalones for now until I get my other drives in a few months. My important data is already backup on an external drive so I'm not worried about critical information loss. I would like to know if the onboard raid will work for a raid5 setup or do I have to buy an card. If so with on, without going crazy. I was locking at SYBA SY-PEX40016.

Many, if not all, onboard RAID chips today do support RAID5. However, there are significant advantages to using dedicated RAID cards instead of the onboard, for performance, maintenance, and versatility. I have no experience with the Syba card so I can't offer any opinion on it.

I definitely suggest you use a card as if your MB dies, finding the exact MB is difficult at times and even if you do, it won't always rebuild the array. The cards are a bit more robust when they are replaced. Below is a link to a card that is on sale right now and a lot of people on here use it, or one similar, so they can offer support if needed.

Here's a vote for OCZ power supplies. Three in the last year (different builds) and I like them.

Have had great luck with OCZ supplies and the pricing is great. Only reason I rarely use them is the stiff cabling. I prefer the flat cabling of the Cooler Master or Corsair but that is personal preferences. I always keep an OCZ around as they go on sale often so I have the 550 in my closet. If you have a build that has allot of room for dressing cabling, the OCZ makes a great choice.