RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Expanding Client Computer Backup Storage Space

thewatergate

thewatergate

It appears to me that all of the backup files for all of my the client computers are stored in a folder \ServerFolder\Client Computer Backup. Since I have a dedicated drive only for thus folder, then I am limited to approximately the size of this drive for all of myclients backup files. Is there a way to specify a specific location for each clients backup so they can reside on different disks? Otherwise, I foresee not having enough space just to store client backups. Any ideas?

You didn't specify which WHS you're running, but from the path you mentioned I'm going to assume it's 2011. In that case, as I understand it, the answer to your question is no. Not only are all client backups stored in the same place, but they also can't exceed 2 TB total. The 2 TB total limit part is still confusing to me. Some people seem to indicate it's not true and others say it is (hint hint: can someone provide the definitive answer?).

ImTheTypeOfGuy

The only way to manage it at this time is to move all your files to the server so your computer backups are smaller.

The only way to manage it at this time is to move all your files to the server so your computer backups are smaller.

That is certainly one way, and I did use it for a while. However, when my server crashed a number of months back I realized it meant I couldn't get to my data files - not good.

So, I went back to keeping my data files on my local system. I back them up by having a Scheduled Task run RoboCopy, which updates a mirror image of my local data file structure that's on my WHS2011. I have my data in 2 locations, can get at it even if the server is unavailable, and I'm only limited by the space available on my server.

You can set up a RAID array and use that as your PC backup. However as mentioned, if it exceeds 2TB and you have included that folder in the Server Backups, then it will fail. Then again since it a RAID array, you have some redundency there, so it's not necessary to include that folder in the Server Backup setup.

Also you can add a 3TB drive using Disk Managment to take full advantage of the 3TB by formating it GPT, else if you add the drive through the Dashboard, it will format it MBR and give you only 2.1 TB. Then again, do not include it in the Server Backup, but you loose the protection of a RAID array.

Your next option is the use StableBit's DrivePool and then you can create a pool of drives and move the PC backup folders to that DE type pool.

As Diehard mentioned you can use a large volume for your client backups by RAID or a larger drive. Two caveats, each client can not be larger than 2T, and do not include the client backups in the server backup. You cannot assign a separate drive for each client. What you can do and I would suggest it, is to move the data to your server and move it off the client and beef up the storage on your server. Ikon method should also not be ruled out but what I think your may need is a revamp of your backup needs.

Summary of what I would do if I was in you situation (not in order):

• Slim down your client data as much as you can and move it to the server
  • Beef up your storage needs on our server with some kind of redundantcy (hardware or software)
  • Use a sync program such as ikon suggested to make a second copy of your live data

Look at the this post as a point of discussion and then build your strategy from their.

http://homeservershow.com/backup-strategy.html

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I can't help but get the feeling that most of you need to stop tinkering with your production servers. I have been running the same server/hardware for probably three years now and haven't had a single failure.

I can't help but get the feeling that most of you need to stop tinkering with your production servers. I have been running the same server/hardware for probably three years now and haven't had a single failure.

Well, he is dealing with a very real issue with WHS2011 - limited client backup space. So, something has to be done. I know you dislike 2011 (and I'm not saying you're wrong), so you don't have the issue, but it is an issue for some of us :)

Some, like pcdoc, are using 3rd party tools to do their backups. I took the route of only using WHS backup to back up my clients' C: drives (thus significantly reducing the gigage) and using RoboCopy to make mirror images of client data to a regular old shared folder on the WHS. Using this strategy, I don't expect I'll ever exceed the 2 TB limit.