• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• pcdoc

• ikon

• c0op3r

Go ghetto like I did add Intel Quad Nics and Use teaming

But you have to have compatible switch(es). So much Ethernet link bonding is proprietary ATM.

• 2 months later...

I recently installed a 240 GB OCZ SSD and changed my strategy for SSD changes a bit. See the first post for the changes.

• 2 months later...

But you have to have compatible switch(es). So much Ethernet link bonding is proprietary ATM.

Linux has some round-robin like implementations of port bonding that work well on any switch.

Good luck running a bridge on it though.

Also, since the information is hard to find all in one place, here are some good practices for using SSDs and linux.

• Format all filesystems ext4 as it supports discards (TRIM)
  • Edit /etc/fstab and replace "default" with discard,noatime. Only add the 'discard' option for SSD mount points.
  • If you have a SSD with a slow write speed, or want faster responsiveness, add "vm.swappiness = 20" to your /etc/sysctl.conf file. This will cause your system to use more memory, as it wont swap from memory to swapspace as much. (Note the default "swappiness value is 60)
  • If you use LVM (as you should) make sure you add the discard option in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf
  • If this is for a laptop, or battery-backed server (or you are working with non critical data), play around with the 'commit' mount option. This will change how often the kernel flushes writes from the write-back cache to your disk. The default is 5 seconds. Most people use (depending on how confident they are with their system) between 5 and 600 seconds (10 minutes). I prefer to use commit=300 (5 minutes) as I don't really have a write overhead on my system (all virtual machines have noatime set, and only have 1 windows VM). Note that when you perform certain operations or shutdown/restart your system the writeback cache will flush to disk. You can also type 'flush' into your shell and manually start a cache flush that way. However, if you set commit=600 as an option in /etc/fstab and your system crashes 7 minutes after your last flush, you will loose 7 minutes worth of data. Also, this too will cause higher memory usage under normal circumstances.

I hope that wasn't to long winded, in either case, happy computing.