RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SSD Setup Practices by Forum Users

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Yes, I did misunderstand, I see your point, and some programs dont make much diff if the load fast or not.

Now I personally am not worried; as i have 600Gb of SSD Raid Ø

600Gb%20SSD%20Drive%20C.JPG

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• pcdoc

• ikon

• c0op3r

My bad, Sorry but might as well push it a little bit, My laptop has a Mushkin Chronos 120 Gig SataII unit and my work PC has (2) Mushkin Chronos DX SataIII Units in RAID Ø.

So i guess you could say i have gone in for the SSD thing!

Yes, I did misunderstand, I see your point, and some programs dont make much diff if the load fast or not.

Now I personally am not worried; as i have 600Gb of SSD Raid Ø

600Gb%20SSD%20Drive%20C.JPG

I now have SSD envy.

I see someone mentioned moving the program file (and program files x86) to another drive, this to me is crazy the point of having the SSD is so things load FAST, leave the program folders where they are if you can spare the space, move the DOCs, Photos, Desktop, Music & Video Folders.

I think perhaps you misunderstood. While I have D:\Program Files and D:\Program Files (x86), I also have C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (86). Because I only have 110 GB of SSD space, I pick and choose where programs get installed. Those that I really want to load quickly get installed on C:; those that I'm not so concerned about get installed on D:. Sorry for the confusion.

ZeroHunter, good question. Ikon, thanks for clarifying.

I changed the post so it is more clear. Now that line has been separated into two...

• Move User Folders – On the secondary HDD create a new folder named "Users". You can use the registry or folder properties to move folders like "My Documents", "My Pictures", etc.
  • For programs that do not need the speed of an SSD or if you have limited space on your SSD, add two new folders named "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)". This is for any programs you want to install to the secondary drive.

I changed the post so it is more clear. Now that line has been separated into two...

• Move User Folders – On the secondary HDD create a new folder named "Users". You can use the registry or folder properties to move folders like "My Documents", "My Pictures", etc.
  • For programs that do not need the speed of an SSD or if you have limited space on your SSD, add two new folders named "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)". This is for any programs you want to install to the secondary drive.

No problem. One small suggestion: just after (x86) you might add to your secondary drive.

When you move your users folder you need to do some registry changes, correct? What is the easiest way to accomplish this task (moving the users folder)?

When you move your users folder you need to do some registry changes, correct? What is the easiest way to accomplish this task (moving the users folder)?

The link below will walk you through it. I also added it to the original post.

http://www.overclock.net/t/664738/how-to-setup-ssd-boot-drive-with-secondary-hard-disc-optimization

The link below will walk you through it. I also added it to the original post.

http://www.overclock...sc-optimization

Thanks a ton for the link. I went through all of the other suggestions and I still have 52.9 GBs free on a 90 GB SSD. I think I may just leave the user files on the SSD. Would that cause any issues with high number or writes or anything?

Thanks a ton for the link. I went through all of the other suggestions and I still have 52.9 GBs free on a 90 GB SSD. I think I may just leave the user files on the SSD. Would that cause any issues with high number or writes or anything?

It could. The less writing you do to the SSD the longer it will last, as I understand it anyway.