RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SSD Setup Practices by Forum Users

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Clean up utility?? Please enlighten me; I've never heard of it.

Did some homework on V1 of the REVO and apparently you can not run a wiper tool on like you could on the V1 SSDs. The wiper tool used to take the used states of the SSD and reset them to new states. Sorry for the premature answer.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• pcdoc

• ikon

• c0op3r

To make this really useful it would help if the original post were edited (can only be done by that user or a moderator) from time to time with the suggestions from the other contributors. We could easily make this a sticky and then all the useful stuff would be right at the beginning.

To make this really useful it would help if the original post were edited (can only be done by that user or a moderator) from time to time with the suggestions from the other contributors. We could easily make this a sticky and then all the useful stuff would be right at the beginning.

I can definitely do that as I see stuff coming in. I will add pcdoc's response.

Did some homework on V1 of the REVO and apparently you can not run a wiper tool on like you could on the V1 SSDs. The wiper tool used to take the used states of the SSD and reset them to new states. Sorry for the premature answer.

Not a problem. I presume I could accomplish the same thing, or very similar, by wiping out the SSD partitions and restoring my system from a backup?

Not a problem. I presume I could accomplish the same thing, or very similar, by wiping out the SSD partitions and restoring my system from a backup?

Yes you can but that is a bit painful.

A little, but if it's only once or twice a year it's not sooo bad.

If you are using a separate backup program I would agree but with the built in program it takes a bit too long for me. But 1 or twice a year we could all survive it.

If you are using a separate backup program I would agree but with the built in program it takes a bit too long for me. But 1 or twice a year we could all survive it.

CloneZilla can do it pretty quickly; less than 30 min. for backup and restore.

Nice idea. One thing I can contribute is to say that I have been unable to get the status of NCQ or TRIM for my OCZ Revo drive. I've basically assumed that it's because the drive is PCIe, not SATA, so the utilities don't find it. I would love to find out I'm wrong about that but it's a point for others to remember if they use a Revo.

No if you run ANY SSD through ANY controller except the onboard or addition port (meaning not in a RAID config, or through some other host controller) Windows does not activate the TRIM commands.

Now this is not a big deal really your Revo, and most newer SSD have some sort of internal 'Garbage Collection' and 'Wear Leveling' algorithm.

So the simplest way to setup an SSD is directly connect it to an SATA port, and enable the ACHI, pretty much all newer SATA3 Drives on a SATA3 port with ACHI on will get more that 400Megs/sec.

I personally am running a variation of your REVO card, I am using an LSI-9260-4i RAID controller in RAID Ø configuration with (4) Intel SSD's so no Trim for me, but the drives hand the Garbage Collection and Wear Leveling by themselves. (I am also getting over a 1Gb/sec transfer rates, so screw TRIM, i will take the speed).

I see someone mentioned moving the program file (and program files x86) to another drive, this to me is crazy the point of having the SSD is so things load FAST, leave the program folders where they are if you can spare the space, move the DOCs, Photos, Desktop, Music & Video Folders.

Edited by ZeroHunter

I see someone mentioned moving the program file (and program files x86) to another drive, this to me is crazy the point of having the SSD is so things load FAST, leave the program folders where they are if you can spare the space, move the DOCs, Photos, Desktop, Music & Video Folders.

I think perhaps you misunderstood. While I have D:\Program Files and D:\Program Files (x86), I also have C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (86). Because I only have 110 GB of SSD space, I pick and choose where programs get installed. Those that I really want to load quickly get installed on C:; those that I'm not so concerned about get installed on D:. Sorry for the confusion.