RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
mrossco

VOIP service

mrossco

Not sure if this is the right place for it, but here it goes...

I'm ready to make the move to VOIP. My wife and I currently have a no frills landline really for no other reason than we have family that calls us on that number. I also periodically work from home, and the call quality on my Motorolla speakerphone is just so much better than on my mobile.

I did some searching on the internet, and I see comments about Google Voice, Vonage, VOIPO and Skype. I really want to keep my number, and I'd like to acquire a new home phone that takes advantage of some of the features. Has anyone made the switch, and if so, what were your experiences?

Thanks in advance.

jmwills

I've been with Vonage for about 8 years now. Great service but I am thinking about moving to Magic Jack Plus. If for no reason other than cost.

As long as you have a highspeed connection, these devices work anywhere in the world. I can vouch for Italy, Iraq, and Korea. It's like calling your next door neighbor.

krom

I've been using Ooma for the past two years or so and been happy. I had Vonage before that and I was happy with that too but I couldn't overlook the cost difference especially since the quality is just as good.

There's been a lot of discussion about Ooma and MagicJack in this thread:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2935-magicjack-on-whs-2011/page__p__28698__hl__ooma__fromsearch__1#entry28698

wodysweb

I had an Ooma setup for a while, it's a nice product but I've recently been using OBI with Google Voice and I've liked it much more. One, the cost of the OBI and porting a # to Google Voice was way less than I re-sold my Ooma on ebay, AND there's no monthly cost at all! It integrates w/ gmail, get notifications, and have it tied to my android phone as well. Really hard to beat the advanced features, no cost, and good quality.

Obi 100 - $40

Google Voice # Port - $20, and that's it.

If you're interested, here's their site w/ some info.

pcdoc

Ooma teamed with Google Voice and you can rule the world.

geek-accountant

Not sure this is still offered, but we have used T-Mobile's VOIP service for the last 4 or so years. It's $9.99/month for unlimited local and long distance. In addition, I take the SIM card out of the device and stick it in a cheap flip phone when we travel which means we have the house phone with us while on the road.

ikon

I take the SIM card out of the device and stick it in a cheap flip phone when we travel which means we have the house phone with us while on the road.

K, that's pretty cool.

Guest no-control

I had an Ooma setup for a while, it's a nice product but I've recently been using OBI with Google Voice and I've liked it much more. One, the cost of the OBI and porting a # to Google Voice was way less than I re-sold my Ooma on ebay, AND there's no monthly cost at all! It integrates w/ gmail, get notifications, and have it tied to my android phone as well. Really hard to beat the advanced features, no cost, and good quality.

Obi 100 - $40

Google Voice # Port - $20, and that's it.

If you're interested, here's their site w/ some info.

This works really well. I was impressed when I set it up for a broke brother-in-law and a few friends. I had suggested it in the other referenced thread but wody's link makes it dead simple.

c0op3r

Not sure if this is the right place for it, but here it goes...

I'm ready to make the move to VOIP. My wife and I currently have a no frills landline really for no other reason than we have family that calls us on that number. I also periodically work from home, and the call quality on my Motorolla speakerphone is just so much better than on my mobile.

I did some searching on the internet, and I see comments about Google Voice, Vonage, VOIPO and Skype. I really want to keep my number, and I'd like to acquire a new home phone that takes advantage of some of the features. Has anyone made the switch, and if so, what were your experiences?

Thanks in advance.

TRixBox - roll your own!

ImTheTypeOfGuy

If any of these alternative solutions stops the sales calls then I am sold.