RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 Backup Database Is Unreliable

Technogod

So you are using Acronis to backup the clients to the server's folders and then restoring from there? For one thing this would not be a DHCP issue.

I was referring to his original problem with a WHS restore:

Client backups have never been reliable with WHS 2011. Before I received any errors regarding the Client Backup Database. I tried to restore my Wife's Laptop and it failed with the usual Unknown Error three quarters of the way through.

I recently ran into this problem with a client of mine running SBS2011 Essentials.

The knucklehead that installed their Cisco router set the DHCP lease time at 30 minutes. So you would boot off of the restore disc, it pulls

and IP and you begin the restore process, 30 minutes later the DHCP lease expires and the computer disconnects from the server in the middle of the restore.

Edited by tojoski

FYI, I set my DHCP lease time to months. I see no reason why not in a home situation, where the number of computers is usually limited and they don't change all that often.

If all you are using WHS for is shares, Server 2008 would do as well, however, WHS does offer the web access.

This doesn't really apply to TechNet subscribers, but isn't WHS2011 quite a bit cheaper than WS 2008 if you do have to buy it?

If all you are using WHS for is shares, Server 2008 would do as well, however, WHS does offer the web access.

S2008R2 also provides web access.

This doesn't really apply to TechNet subscribers, but isn't WHS2011 quite a bit cheaper than WS 2008 if you do have to buy it?

WHS is much cheaper. I think S2008R2 is in the $700 range.

Yea, $49.95 with 10 CAL's and the price you mentioned. I also think that is where WHS obtaines some of its flaws when they lock it down it causes issues in other areas of the product. I'mm running a new 2008R2 box with WHS 2011 in virtual mode. For me, this is the way to go from now on.

Yea, $49.95 with 10 CAL's and the price you mentioned. I also think that is where WHS obtaines some of its flaws when they lock it down it causes issues in other areas of the product. I'mm running a new 2008R2 box with WHS 2011 in virtual mode. For me, this is the way to go from now on.

Yet another plus for TechNet...