RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 Backup Database Is Unreliable

Technogod

WHS 2011 Backup Database has corrupted itself for a second time after a clean installation. It is also unable to repair itself.

I'm using Acronis True Image Home 11. Created a Pooled Share using StableBit DrivePool. Pointed Acronis to the share and made it a Backup Location with a maximum of 30 backups.

Could be interesting trying to track this one down. First place I would start is to point the backup location to a non-DrivePool location.

Client Backups Folder wasn't a DrivePool Folder. I only started using DrivePool with Acronis.

I was confused. So you're using both WHS client backup and Acronis backup?

I've stopped using WHS 2011 for client backups and switched to Acronis. I'm still backing up over the network using Acronis to shared folders on WHS 2011.

Client backups have never been reliable with WHS 2011. Before I received any errors regarding the Client Backup Database. I tried to restore my Wife's Laptop and it failed with the usual Unknown Error three quarters of the way through.

I've stopped using WHS 2011 for client backups and switched to Acronis. I'm still backing up over the network using Acronis to shared folders on WHS 2011.

Client backups have never been reliable with WHS 2011. Before I received any errors regarding the Client Backup Database. I tried to restore my Wife's Laptop and it failed with the usual Unknown Error three quarters of the way through.

Just a note, if you're restore is failing 3/4 of the way through, check your DHCP lease time in your router.. make sure it's set to at least a day.

tojoski, I don't think it was a network issue. jmwillis, I need remote access. I forgot StableBit DrivePool didn't support WHS 2011 Server Backup. I'm creating non-pooled shares so I can utililize Server Backup.

So you are using Acronis to backup the clients to the server's folders and then restoring from there? For one thing this would not be a DHCP issue.

Take a look at an article Diehard posted a link to in another thread: http://www.unproductivitydefined.com/2010/05/problems-with-windows-7-and-windows.html

The gist of it is, third party backup solutions (the example they use is Norton's Ghost) may make changes to the Volume Shadow Copy Service and size requirements of the 100MB system partition.

"it seems most of the time this error is in relation to an additional Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) installed from programs such as Norton Ghost. They tend to cause problems. I used the command vssadmin list providers and the only thing that showed up was the default VSS provider from Microsoft. My next idea was to try chkdsk, howeverchkdsk /f /r didn't fix anything.

Finally, after reading more into VSS, I found that it needs around 40 megabytes of free space on the partition to take the snapshot and do it's work. This got me to thinking about the 100 megabyte System Reserved partition that comes in a fresh install on Windows 7. After looking at properties on the partition, I only had 36MB free space. Definitely a problem!"