RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Cloned HDD to SSD win 7 64. WHS will no longer back up.

asdaHP

Hi,

I have an HP mediasmart EX490 running the older version 1 WHS that backs up my computers. Recently in a relatively new computer that runs on Win 7 64, I added an Intel 160 Gb ssd. Intel provides a migration tool (i believe it is the same as acronis). So i cloned the HDD to SSD choosing the "As is" method for cloning and partitioning. By the way, the only partition I had on the original 1Tb HDD was the system reserve of 100Mb and the rest was everything else. My total usage was around 40GB. So i cloned it without issue (creating a similar system reserve partition of 100mb) using the Intel tool. I then switched BIOS settings to boot from the SSD. Everything was fine except that WHS now fails to back up the new SSD drive. The message I get is: "The computer failed to take a snapshot of the volume for backup"

Interestingly if i delete the SSD from backup and ask WHS to only backup the HDD (now designated as a different drive F:) it continues to backup without an issue including the system reserve partition.

My questions are the following:

1. Was cloning a wrong idea and do i have to reinstall Win 7 (which happens to be an OEM version, so i guess i would have to call microsoft, I guess to reactivate) on the SSD for the sake of WHS?

2. This system reserve partition. Do i have to back it up? It seems empty when i look at it in older backups on the server. Could that be the culprit and if I dont back it up, if in the future i need to do a system restore, can I do a restore from the server or will there then be a problem?

thanks for your assistance

Here is my attempt at your questions:

1. Nothing wrong with cloning as I have done it more than 20 times. The issue is you have to manually set the partition size so the proportion is correct. In addition, disable and then re-enable the VSS (or delete the existing copies). The easiest way to do this is to "right" click on the "computer" and select properties. From there go to advanced settings and turn off all the system restores for specifically the "C" drive. Once you have deleted, re-enable it on the "C" dirve, limit the size and you should be good to go.Clean install is always best but cloning works great.

2. Are you talking about the 100meg partition then yes, you have to back it up. If you are talking about a larger one gig partition, then you might as it might be in to how the MFG setup the drive. If you have one of these, then definitely do a clean install.

Thanks for the quick reply

1. Sorry, but what is VSS? So if I understood you right, the mistake i made was to have cloned an identical sized system reserve partition from the HDD to the SSD. BTW, I was presented with three choices while cloning: As is, proportionate (or something like that), manual. I choose 'as is' as otherwise it was going to make a 21MB partition and I was not sure if that was too small. So I choose As Is and made a 100 MB partition for system reserve. Would you suggest that i clean the SSD and redo my cloning using the proportionate option? I will remember to switch off system restore before cloning. Thanks for the tip.

2. Yes i was talking about the 100MB system reserve partition. That is the one creating the error message. Just now, i successfully backed up the main partition (149Gb) of the SSD, the 0.93 Tb hard drive and the 100MB partition on the original HDD. In other words if I just exclude the system reserve partition of the SSD everything is fine with WHS.

3. Is there any other advantage going forward with resinstalling Win 7 on the SSD vs cloning. I read somewhere about alignment but could not quite understand that part.

thanks again

3. Is there any other advantage going forward with resinstalling Win 7 on the SSD vs cloning. I read somewhere about alignment but could not quite understand that part.

The biggest advantage for me is that the installer will do automatically, the things that should be done to maximize the life of the SSD. These things can all be done manually of course; it's just convenenient, and reassuring, to have Win7 do them itself (it means you don't forget any).

Thanks everyone. i will reclone the drive and see if WHS works with that change.

To ikon...

The biggest advantage for me is that the installer will do automatically, the things that should be done to maximize the life of the SSD. These things can all be done manually of course; it's just convenenient, and reassuring, to have Win7 do them itself (it means you don't forget any).

This may be of topic...but i did not realize that Win 7 maximized the life of the drive. I thought a clone was like an exact copy and what was good for my HDD should be for my newer drive. With what you say, may be I should instead reinstall win 7 even if reinstalling all the software is more time consuming. Thanks...

We must have posted at exactly the same time. That link sounds just like my problem! thanks

Thanks for the quick reply

1. Sorry, but what is VSS? So if I understood you right, the mistake i made was to have cloned an identical sized system reserve partition from the HDD to the SSD. BTW, I was presented with three choices while cloning: As is, proportionate (or something like that), manual. I choose 'as is' as otherwise it was going to make a 21MB partition and I was not sure if that was too small. So I choose As Is and made a 100 MB partition for system reserve. Would you suggest that i clean the SSD and redo my cloning using the proportionate option? I will remember to switch off system restore before cloning. Thanks for the tip.

2. Yes i was talking about the 100MB system reserve partition. That is the one creating the error message. Just now, i successfully backed up the main partition (149Gb) of the SSD, the 0.93 Tb hard drive and the 100MB partition on the original HDD. In other words if I just exclude the system reserve partition of the SSD everything is fine with WHS.

thanks again

The first problem is your choice of "as-is". It has to be "manual" and then you will have to adjust the 100 meg partition back up to 100 meg. Once you do that, clone and you should be fine. What you want is to map the system partition 100 to 100 and the 1T to down to 120. If you use as is it will try and create a 1T partition. If you use auto it will reduce "Both" partitions proportionally. Manual lets you choose what you want and tune the partitions to the correct size.

The first problem is your choice of "as-is". It has to be "manual" and then you will have to adjust the 100 meg partition back up to 100 meg. Once you do that, clone and you should be fine. What you want is to map the system partition 100 to 100 and the 1T to down to 120. If you use as is it will try and create a 1T partition. If you use auto it will reduce "Both" partitions proportionally. Manual lets you choose what you want and tune the partitions to the correct size.

Success!! Thanks for the suggestions. I manually cloned the drive as you said after disabling and re-enabling restore points. Had a minor issue with setting the reserve partition as 100mb. The acronis program (or intel rebranded progrma) limited me to 27mb for the reserve partition. It would not let me expand it to 100mb. I had to reduce the size of the remaining drive partition by 75MB as unallocated space between the two. Then i could expand the reserve partition to 100MB and finally reduce the unallocated space to zero. Hopefully i did not mess up anything else. It seemed to work and now WHS backed up fine (atleast it said so!). I am sure you all know these issues with the cloning software but thought id mention it in case someone else was facing the same problem and chanced upon this thread.

Thanks everyone for the help!!