RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Should I setup my WHS 2011 with a Static IP

g725s

Hi I'm new here. I tried to search this subject but came up short. IP is not searchable and Static brought up no responses.

I'm setting up an HP ProLiant MicroServer to be mostly a home media server. I also plan on installing XBMC on it and hooking it up to my TV with an HD 6450 graphic card inside.

I am using Cox cable internet which I'm pretty sure uses a dynamic IP. I go from the modem to an E2000 router with Tomato installed, I've also installed a 4 port switch so I could add more ports. Should all be Gigabit equipment, but untested. But it is all working so far.

I am wondering if in my case I should setup my server with a Static IP?

Edited by g725s

The method your ISP is using makes no difference for the question you are asking (static vs. dynamic). Your question is concerning your internal network (the one inside your home). Most people will either use a static IP address for their server or they will use DHCP Reservation which basically allows your DHCP server to always assign the same IP address to the server.

I think it is fair to say that most people use a static address or DHCP reservation as it is easier to troubleshoot if you have issues.

• Like 1

I'm no network expert. But I would assume that my router is currently acting as a DHCP server. Would this be correct?

Yes, sounds like it based on what you posted earlier.

How would you guys suggest I set mine up? seeing that it will mostly be a media server but also have XBMC installed on it and streaming mkv's on my TV? And to take it a bit further I will probably try and install SAB and Sickbeard.

It's your own personal preference. You can start with a dynamic IP address (assigned by your router) and switch to static if needed. It is pretty simple to switch back and forth. Like I said, most people use either reserved or static IP addresses.

Is DHCP Reservation something that is setup within the router? And what are the reasons that someone setting up a WHS 2011 as I have described so far would prefer one over the other?

Also would it matter if my server wired directly to the switch or the router?

Edited by g725s

Yes, DHCP Reservations are done within the router. I do not use Tomato so I don't know if it can do them or not.

No, it doesn't matter if you are wired directly to the switch or router.

I have found troubleshooting and accessing my router server is easier if I use a reserved IP address. That way I always know the IP address since it never changes. Then I set up port forwarding in my router so I could remotely access the server from outside my home. You can also do port forwarding based on computer name but my router uses IP address so it is necessary to make sure the IP address doesn't change. Other people may have their own reason and like I mentioned, it is really personal preference and experience.

Thank you. I'll go check the Tomato forum and see what I can find out about setting up DHCP reservation. I'll check back and post up what I found out.

OK I'm having a bit of a problem installing WHS 2011.

I'm installing from a flash drive which I made this way:

But It keeps rebooting back to the screen that says New Installation and Repair An Existing Installation. I never get to the point where is asks me to input any information or product key. Just keeps rebooting back to that start screen.

When I created the flash drive, a 8gb SD card plugged into a USB card reader, one thing I noticed when I copied and pasted the files over was that Windows explorer showed 2 panes on the right side, one with the install DVD files and below that some file that said Desktop something or other. It could be that I did not create the flash drive correctly. I did completely format it to NTFS prior to using the command prompt and diskpart.

Anyone have experience creating a install flash drive for WHS 2011?

Edited by g725s