RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
CablDeViL

D-Link DGS-1024D Rackmountable Switch 24-Port

ikon

No fun without the drool!

In a word, EEEEEEWWWWWWWWW :blink:

CablDeViL

Dave,

I have one also and been runing it for 6 months now, Rock solid. The only thing is I have not setup Jumbo Frames yet becouse I am not sure what settings to use on the 1 Gig nic cards, Anyone have advice on what size frame I should use? Should I just set it to 9k or somthing lower? I also dont know if it's ok to use jumbo frames in a mixed network, I have some computers runing at 100 and some runing at 1000. Any help would be great.

Merry Christmas!

Yes you can set it to 9k. I think that's the frame setting for the switch (I have to check) but remember if you have another switch on your network you need to see what its JF buffer is. If it does not have JF then you cant use it. You have to set your card to the lowest JF setting on your network. So if switch 1 has 9k but switch 2 has 4k you must set your nic card to 4k or you will have issues.

Jason

Can someone please explain the benefit of jumbo frames on a Gigabit network? I've seen the parameter but never tried enabling it.

ikon

Can someone please explain the benefit of jumbo frames on a Gigabit network? I've seen the parameter but never tried enabling it.

It's pretty easy. An Ethernet packet contains quite a bit of overhead (information about what kind of packet it is, where it came from, where it's going, etc. The payload (your data) is only 1 field of many in the packet. Obviously, the larger the payload you send, the more efficient things are, because less of your traffic is overhead.

The original Ethernet packet was designed for much slower, and unreliable, networks than we have today, so it only allowed a maximum of about 1500 bytes of data. Jumbo frames improve the efficiency by increasing the size of the payload: up to around 9000 bytes of data.