RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 77, what do you think ?

diehard

Hi Ya,

Well, I was out this week, had some family matter. Thanks for filling in AJ.

You guys covered the news on a Windows Zune phone. A few addins, Gladinet, some Wuala and calendar interfacing with WHS.

AJ's got a long post on networking at the Blog, check it out.

What did you think of the show ?

John (homeservershow).

Thanks for another great show. It was informative and entertaining :)

If I need to copy or move a bunch of data and want to ensure it gets copied correctly I'll either use robocopy or, more recently, Teracopy which can actually be set up to replace the default copy handler. Both robocopy and Teracopy can be set to verify after the copy and can resume an interrupted copy.

regarding Shadow copy, the link posted for show 76 is a little incomplete. Over on the MS forum they mention that it's broken in multi-drive systems and mss boxes. I did a little digging and came up with Ken Waren's FAQ. VSS on WHS doesn't sound very reliable at this point and the workaround is painful enough that I'm personally not willing to mess with it.

Unfortunately the only alternative is a for pay add-in (Time Traveler| [review]) and while I don't mind paying for add-ins, $30 seems a bit much. There's a coupon here for $5 off the price - not sure if it is still valid. Sorry if this sounds like an advert - I can't vouch for the product, I haven't even downloaded the trial.

Hopefully Microsoft gets previous versions working correctly out of the box in Vail.

ttfn

Thanks for the information. Glad to hear it. Well not actually glad, as I'd rather it just worked. But thanks for sharing none-the-less.

Well not actually glad, as I'd rather it just worked. But thanks for sharing none-the-less.

You and me both :)
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :(

Show 77

Hey, thank you for the mention, I am honoured that I help in some way. As for your comments on Calendar, the purpose for us was to publish the latest version of the work calendar that I use, so that folks can track me down if required. (yes they could call my cell phone, but sometimes I'm in meetings and cannot answer) The reason why I don't use the "Cloud" is that I want to keep my data personal, somewhere else; disk is cheap and WHS is great. I just don

• 2 months later...

As far as VSS goes... I have a home build WHS and have been running VSS on my WHS since Jan 2010 without any problems. Any one else using VSS have problems?

Funny you mention that.. I used to have no end of issues with the shadows getting wiped and have tried various settings to fix it. The most recent one was to stagger the automatic snapshot times on my many drives, and that seems to have finally done the trick. Seems like it really was a problem with too much I/O in a short space of time which is what happens with the default schedule.

I am still testing, but for the first time I have snapshots going back about a month. If it isn't completely fixed, at least it is useable, and that's certainly an improvement.