RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS - Build or buy

SWEETLEW

Hello everyone, my current EX487 server has just died.

I've been without a server for a few months now and doing backups to a spare PC with some added drives. I'm now at the point of getting my hand around a new home server. The question I'm putting out there is do you guys think it's better to build or to go the already built route. I don't see a lot of options for systems already built, so I'm leaning towards building my own system.

Can someone give me a general spec list of hardware requirements to start with? Or if anyone has had success with a pre-built option, please chime in. I am looking to go WHS2011. I will be doing some encoding and putting it through it's paces as I have a PS3 and other network attached devices in use. Thanks in advance.

Check for posts in the Builders Forum. Tons of info in there. A lot depends on what you will be asking the server to do. If only file storage and backups, then an i3-2100 with 4 gigis of RAM will do just fine, but the more you get into video transcoding you need to be in the i5 category. I'm sure one of the BYOB guys will add more than I can to this.

I've built three and always used an i3 processor.

Since you mention encoding I'm thinking a good i5 CPU, but jmwills is right; check the builders forum because a number of other people have posed the same question and gotten lots of advice.

Hello everyone, my current EX487 server has just died.

I've been without a server for a few months now and doing backups to a spare PC with some added drives. I'm now at the point of getting my hand around a new home server. The question I'm putting out there is do you guys think it's better to build or to go the already built route. I don't see a lot of options for systems already built, so I'm leaning towards building my own system.

Can someone give me a general spec list of hardware requirements to start with? Or if anyone has had success with a pre-built option, please chime in. I am looking to go WHS2011. I will be doing some encoding and putting it through it's paces as I have a PS3 and other network attached devices in use. Thanks in advance.

You can find a lot of builds at the WHS builds section but you may want to keep an eye out for good deals on HP Microservers which have popped up on Newegg recently -- i wouldn't be surprised if a similar deal doesn't pop up again but you'll need to keep an eye out.

I don't think you'll be happy with an HP Microserver if you're going to be doing a lot of heavy lifting directly on your home server. Definitely look at the WHS builds section and the BYOB podcast, as suggested above, that's where I got ideas for my upcoming build.

I don't think you'll be happy with an HP Microserver if you're going to be doing a lot of heavy lifting directly on your home server. Definitely look at the WHS builds section and the BYOB podcast, as suggested above, that's where I got ideas for my upcoming build.

I second that opinion.