RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Storage Choices

thobel

I'm in the process of doing a little overhaul of my server (Bigger then I inteneded)

Short Story Laptop Died SO I decided to Reuse the 256GB SSD in it as my WHS 2011 Boot drive benifit of that was I could reuse the 2x2TB raid 1 drives for storage (I was running low)

System 15x2TB in a Single Raid 6 with 1 hot standby drive Connected to an Areca 1261ML 2GB 16 Port card

The Samsung 256Gb Model PM800 (From Dell XPS 1530)

Side Note: That Samsung drive is the most horrid pos SSD I have ever experenced!!

That brings me to my next question

I currently have 3x 160GB Intel X25M G2's in my Main Rig in Raid 0

I have 3x 80GB Intel X25M G2's in my Backup Rig in Raid 0

With a 120GB X25M G2, 120GB Ocz Vertex 3, 80GB Intel X25M G2 in 3 HTPC's

I'm now very unhappy with my choice of using the Samsung SSD plan was in a month or two I was getting another 256GB Samsung for free and was going to add it as a Raid 1

I'm now convinced I want that pile of junk out of my system asap! I don't want to mess around with tricking the system into letting me install on a smaller drive etc

I figure my Options are this

1) Buy 2 New Drives For Raid 1 that meet the 160GB Size Limit a

2) Buy 3 Newer Sata III Drives for my Main Rig and User the 3 Intel 160GB drives in Raid 5 the Asus P8P67Pro supports Raid 5 on the motherboard

3) Ignore the Horrid performance of my Samsung drive and deal with the Mess when it comes? (not my way)

4) ??

Note: I love having SSD drives (As I think anyone can see :) ) for the speedy experence of apps within the OS. I also can't fit anymore 3.5" Drives into the case so going with 2 cheap Sata HDD's is not an option.

Option #2 sounds the best. Extra speed for the main system, and recycling some very reliable drives to your server.

Well, since we're talking selling (and the 120 GB Samsung SSD I have in my laptop flies...) what are you asking for the 256GB?

(pushes in front of no-control)

That is a decent price, but I admit I wasn't read up on the PM800 models (vs the 470 I have or even the PM810/830) speeds. I see why you are frustrated.

That is a decent price, but I admit I wasn't read up on the PM800 models (vs the 470 I have or even the PM810/830) speeds. I see why you are frustrated.

Yeah the read speeds are so so write speeds are horrid. It performs ok for the task at hand. But I want to go at least raid 1 if not raid 5 on the OS so may as well upgrade main rig and reuse the drives. I'll throw the Samsung in an old pc for mom or something.

Yeah the read speeds are so so write speeds are horrid. It performs ok for the task at hand. But I want to go at least raid 1 if not raid 5 on the OS so may as well upgrade main rig and reuse the drives. I'll throw the Samsung in an old pc for mom or something.

Would I be correct in assuming that these 'horrid' read/write speeds are compared to other SSD's and not to spinning drives?