RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Determine the size of a client PC backup

duanealleman

Well, I'll have to search for the post, but ultimately the reason I went to a dedicated (albeit VM) Win7 box for MyMovies database is because my backup service would just stop. i'd manually restart it; sometimes it would run for a while and stop again, sometimes it wouldn't even want to start. Remove SQL from the box, and voila - no more issues.

Started over with a clean WHS2011. Eventually same problem. Same solution. Twice was enough for me.

Now I'll add that I don't recall ever having the problem on a stand-alone WHS; only after moving to a VM.

SQL And Share Point can coexist on the same box with no problem. SBS Standard is designed to run this way so I don't think that is the easy. Full blown SQL or Express?

duanealleman

Thanks for the replies everyone! I know I was close on total file size, but I thought I should have at least 100GB free, but it keeps maxing out. I have also started receiving notice that the backup service is not running, a reboot or two usually fixes that. I only have a few addins - AWEICO drive info, and the trial versions of Stable bit and dedupe. I only recently installed the trials, so the problem was occuring before I installed any addins.

I guess with 5 clients I really need to look at a raid solution to accomadate my backup needs. At this point I do not thing buying a 2 TB drive would and dedicating it to backups would really get me much further. Maybe I will back all of my data up this weekend and try to setup a RAID and do a fresh WHS 2011 install. I really do not have the funds to go for a RAID controller card and the recovery from a RAID 5 seems a little iffy, but maybe it is just education. I have played with RAID 0 in the past (onboard RAID controller) but I guess that is one of the benefits of RAID 5, I will not have a complete failure if one drives goes out.

quick poll - how many suggest WHS 2011 implemented in HYPERV or Dedicated hardware box? just curiuos.