RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Determine the size of a client PC backup

duanealleman

duanealleman

Hey everyone,

Is there a way to determine how much space is be allocated for each client that is backed up? I am trying to determine why my 1.5 TB dedicated to backups, has dropped to zero. I have 5 clients that get backed up. 4 daily, 1 is more monthly since it is not on the network often. I am assuming the that if 3 clients are Windows 7 32 bit OS and 2 are 64 bit OS, that there would only be 2 different OS file types saved(assuming all files differ between the versions). Does this same deduplicaiton also apply to other file types, like photos, steam games, mp3, etc. I guess I was thinking it doe snot duplicate any files, but I may be wrong. If that is the case, I think I need to look at creating a RAID 5 array to support my larger backups. I know I can configure each client to exclude certain folders, but I really do not want to have to get to that level and then have the wife or kids have a file (photo or document) in that location that does not get backed up and possibly lose.

I am running Windows Home Server 2011 in a Hyper V session, with all recent updates.

The VM has 4 GB RAM

1.5 TB dedicated to Backups (pass thru from host)

1.5 TB dedicated to Movies, and Videos

1.5 TB dedicated Photos, Music, and Documents

Additional Info:

Client 1 laptop - approx 90-100 GB used including OS (32 bit)

Client 2 laptop - approx 90-100 GB used including OS (32 bit)

Client 3 laptop - approx 40-50 GB used including OS (32 bit)

Client 4 laptop - approx 500-600 GB used including OS (64 bit)

Client 5 desktop - approx 400-500 GB used including OS (64 bit)

The host is Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard

16 GB RAM

Thanks!

duanealleman

Another thing I have noticed lately is I get the "No backups available" when accessing the backups for the client via the dashboard. The only way to see the backups again is to reboot the server. Has anyone else seen this issue?

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Check out Geek Accountants post on this same topic. I think it is titled "Has WHS 2011 Failed Me Again".

Unfortunately, you will see he hasn't resolved the apparent problem.

duanealleman

Thanks ImTheTypeOfGuy - I read that thread and posted a reply there. I find the search feature of the forums a little challenging and I did not read through that thread as I was visually searching for similar posts.

Geek accountants issue is a bit different. You get your backups back after a reboot. What addins are you using? Any drive extenders, AV, drive maintenance programs? Also you are running a VM which also adds some complications. How much space is left on your backup drive. By my math, you should almost be full.

Yes, on the low side you are at 1.12 TB which puts you at approx 80% full. The old rule of thumb was not to go above 80% for any storage medium for good performance.

geek-accountant

What may be happening is the backup service is not running. I started seeing this after my space went to zero. I can manually start the service, but after some time it will stop running again. My theory is it is related to the zero space and once I get space back, the service will be stable again.

1. Interesting....as I see this happening from time to time on my son's WHS V1. This happens about every 2 months or so and after about 2 reboots, we are good to go. Manually starting the service does help.