RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Krankycheese

Remote Desktop within Internal Network

Krankycheese

When I try to use Remote Desktop Connection from my WIndows 7 PC to the WHS 2011 server, I get an error that it cannot connect. What's odd is that I can remote desktop from my HTPC and laptop with no problems and both are running Windows 7 as well. The PC that I am trying to connect from had Windows recently installed after a new SSD for the OS was added. The PC and the server are on the same network switch. I can access the server's shared folders with no issues. However, I have not been able to install the connector software. The installation process gives me a "Cannot connect this compter to the network".

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

ikon

Are you trying to connect using the server's name or its IP address? If you haven't yet, I would try the IP address. If that works, you have a DNS issue, something that's actually not all that surprising with a new win7 install.

jmwills

What version of 7 is the new OS?

Krankycheese

Sorry for the extremely late reply. While researching it some more, it seemed like the issue was either with ip6 enabled on the NIC or the .Net Framework 4. I disabled the ip6 and uninstalled the .Net framework 4. The .Net Framework was reinstalled when the WHS Connector software was reinstalled. That seems to have fixed my remote desktop and my connector software not installing. In hindsight, I should have changed one instead of both to better determine which of those options was my issue. Working now though.

ikon

Good to hear. Agree with the change one thing at a time, at least when there's only a few options. If there's a lot of variables, testing can take a long time, so I typically divide the variable items into two groups and test each group separately. I keep doing that until I get down to a few, then I start testing 1 at a time.