RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

UPS Question

Krankycheese

As you have mentioned that your ups battery has been dead i am going to suggest you best way for buying best budget battery i am really impressed by the life time of these batteries kindly go and get one for yourself! Thankyou!

I have not really gone in for the 'pure sine wave' or pfc stuff. I need my UPSes to last at least15 minutes so they smooth over the typical frustrating short interruptions and in the event of a real outage there is time to turn stuff off.

batteries are pretty standard. sometimes they are taped together etc, but if you are handy you can replicate a "battery pack" out of some 'standard' batteries and the spacers etc. from the old pack. pay attention to the amp-hours and terminal size in selecting new batteries, and be very careful of the polarity when arranging the connections. my last round I got two 7AH batteries for $34 off amazon shipped free.

I recycle my batteries at Rural King where I get about $7 each for them.

or just go crazy and buy  a whole new UPS, whatever :)

Years ago, I was lucky enough to be able to snag three APC SmartUPS 700VA units that were heading for the recyclers. All they needed were new batteries, new battery terminals and a little cleaning (old leaky batteries caused a bit of corrosion). I also installed Network Management Cards I got from eBay so they're also connected to the network. This is great as it enabled the UPS to gracefully shutdown multiple devices over the network, even those powered by a 'dumb' UPS.

I was also very happy to find out that these were pure sine wave models, not that any of my equipment needs it. The most I can say is they don't produce any hum or noise out of the speakers, compared to the cheaper, modified sine wave units I also have.

Like you, I keep them running form the UPS for about 10-15 minutes then switch over to my generator just before the UPS starts shutting down stuff.

Edited by oj88

apcupsd can be set up to notify other PCs to shut down without having all the net cards. I have a 3000VA UPS that is usb connected to my pfsense box and all the servers powerd by that UPS use remote mode to be notified when to shut down.

software can be much cheaper.

These 19-year old UPSs do not have USB ports. One way to have 'smart' control is to use proprietary serial cables. However, you get the best flexibility using the NMCs. Anyway, the PCNS software seemed a lot more streamlined, IMO. It has a feature that allows me to write a script which runs Plink to shutdown my Debian-based firewall and a Synology/XPEnology box via SSH using the conditions, timers and/or delays I've set.