RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

UPS Question

Krankycheese

The battery to one of my UPS died yesterday in a flurry of beeps and blinking lights. I am wondering if there is any benefit to buying a new UPS. The UPS is a APC Back-UPS XS 900R (Model: BX900R), and I have had it for more than 5 years so it is out of warranty. The cost of a replacement battery from APC is $79.99 which includes pre-paid postage to send back the old battery. This is pretty high considering a new one could potentially cost the same. However, they are paying for the shipping and recycling of the old battery which is one less worry for me.

Has UPS changed enough to warrant buying a new unit? If so, what should I look for besides capacity? Are there particular brands? APC is a known brand to me but a little costly. Though there website does offer a trade-in discount of an old unit. The Cyberpower units are priced well and are reviewed well.

I've been using the CyberPower 1350AVR LCD for about 6 months. It's not the pure sine wave model you'll hear a lot of people say you need, but its performed well for me thus far.

Do you have a Batteries Plus near you?

http://www.batteriesplus.com/products/569-0/3832-UPS-Batteries/19236-APC-(American-Power-Conversion)/BackUPS-XS-Series-BX900R/1.aspx

You should be able to source generic batteries for about $50 from a local interstate battery or amazon and then just drop off the old one at your local auto store.

Hate to be different, but you should check on what power supply is in your system. If you have a PFC supply, then I would not replace the batteries but rather buy a current one that supports PFC. IF you have a non PFC supply then go for the batteries.

...you should check on what power supply is in your system. If you have a PFC supply, then I would not replace the batteries but rather buy a current one that supports PFC. IF you have a non PFC supply then go for the batteries.

Interesting. What is a PFC supply? and what is the logic behind replacing either the battery or the Supply? Did you mean your PC supply, or the UPS supply?

Interesting. What is a PFC supply? and what is the logic behind replacing either the battery or the Supply? Did you mean your PC supply, or the UPS supply?

This explains the different types of power factor correction - http://www.endpcnois...n/e/faqpfc.html . If his power supply doesnt support active PFC, he wouldn't need a new UPS due to it not supporting that type of power supply. If he has an active PFC power supply, he may want to replace the UPS so that it would run better/longer on it.

Edited by mattd390

I'm starting to move to pure sine-wave UPS'. I just bought my first CyberPower unit (1000va) for my WHS2011.

I hope to do an experiment soon. In the past, I've noted that you can't plug 1 UPS into another to get longer life, at least not with typical consumer UPS'. I have done this with high-end UPS' with great success. I'm suspicious that you can't do it with cheaper UPS' because they produce 'simulated sinewave' or 'modified squarewave' output, which I suspect is not acceptable to the next UPS in line. I plan to plug a pseudo sineware UPS into my CyberPower to see if the pseudo sinewave unit will keep going on its battery after 1) the CyberPower is unplugged and 2) the CyberPower runs out of juice. It may not work because my understanding is that even the CyberPower is not true true sineware; it's just very close. Nevertheless, it should be an interesting experiment.